New PEs... what're you focusing on now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After passing the PE three years ago, I started a new job, started the PMP process, and an MBA. Still at the new job, finished the PMP last year, and finishing the MBA in May. I think after that I'm going to sleep.
Do you feel PMP benefit your career much. Just got my PE this Oct. and considering of PMP

Do you feel PMP benefit your career much. Just got my PE this Oct. and considering of PMP
I don't think I learned much because of the PMP. But I think the PMP let me "check a box" with HR and with certain clients. It also gave me a concrete way to show intentions to management. But in and of itself, it's not all that helpful. It's how it's perceived. I've written several other posts on my thoughts about the PMP, I'd recommend searching those out on this board.

I don't think I learned much because of the PMP. But I think the PMP let me "check a box" with HR and with certain clients. It also gave me a concrete way to show intentions to management. But in and of itself, it's not all that helpful. It's how it's perceived. I've written several other posts on my thoughts about the PMP, I'd recommend searching those out on this board.
Thanks, I will looks into those posts

Yeah pay back for the top schools is impressive.....Coworkers son quit six figures at 29 to go to ten in Chicago MBA.

Was getting 150k offers after one year.  But if you go this route not sure you really needed PE.
You don't really need it but it is a well regarded qualification, especially by other engineers and there are a lot of them in management (and in the top 15 MBA programs). You also never know when you might need it and in certain disciplines there are actually very few PEs as a percentage of the total and their approval is needed for certain regulatory functions so you might actually use it and in any case it's something to fall back on..and most importantly a PE should be something you want because you want it! I've always wanted it because it gives great personal satisfaction.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/european-business-school-rankings-2015

If you're interested in doing full time or EMBA you should consider a program in Europe (top 5 or so in that list) because they're cheaper, faster, and partly because of the previous two have a higher rate of return on your investment in the MBA. Top american programs are 2 years. You can graduate at INSEAD in 10 months (I'm not INSEAD either FYI, just wanted to point out that there are options out there..I would suggest LBS, INSEAD, or HEC). The top european ones also take american government student loans (crazy but true) so you can have the us government risk most of the money if you decide to take it.

Reading these, I'm feeling like such an underachiever. My next step is sleep!

All I want to do is sleep!

Had my end of year review today. My supervisor has changed role and no longer supervising so I felt a bit safe saying this. But I straight up told him that I have no aspiration whatsoever for the next year or two. I just want to be a damn good technical geotech. When I grow up, I want a GE and become a Geostructural Engineer.

I want to focus on my PMP after the holidays. Seems to be easier and much less stressful than studying for the PE...

Some of the most inept PMs I've experienced are PMPs....just sayin
And Bill Gates, Frank Lloyd Wright, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerburg never finished college but if you feel like getting your PMP, CEM, LEED AP, MBA, PHD, ABCXYZ, etc. then go for it, even if a small sense of accomplishment is the only thing you will get out of it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to find a good website to buy a stamp. Any recommendations.

Also, trying to purchase a frame.

i am undecided on getting a MBA or PMP. 

Got mine from PE Stamps.

They were very fast. Ordered in the morning and I had my digital stamps that evening. Received my actual stamp 3 days later.

Trying to find a good website to buy a stamp. Any recommendations.Also, trying to purchase a frame.

i am undecided on getting a MBA or PMP. 
I've gotten mine from acorn sales and been happy! There's also a giveaway from PE stamps. Shoot an email and see if your state has been claimed yet http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/topic/26660-new-giveway-from-pe-stamps/#comment-7352044Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I'm hoping Ohio has not been claimed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

After passing, my wife wants to gift me an Omega watch...been busy researching what I want...feeling very fancy while doing so... :Chris:

Back