New Member : Psycho

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycho

Reaction score
Ok bad nickname to have to be a engineer but it is what it is.

Joined this site to get some info on becoming a PE. Currently living in North Carolina and have an interesting predicament with experience and discipline.

Experience wise I'd have enough experience to take the PE exam next year if I had never gone back to school and got my degree, however experience after degree means I'd have to wait two years?!?! Sort of seems unfair to punish a guy for going back and getting his degree.

As far as discipline is concerned, I have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, took my FE specializing in Electrical Engineering, but work as an Environmental Consultant, thus Environmental PE is what I should probably get... no idea how this works.

I have exhausted my personal contacts now it's time to see what the web has to say, and any info anyone could provide would be great... I'll make sure I post these questions in the appropriate sections of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome psycho! you found the right place..

My name is Francis, but everyone calls my psycho, any of you call me Francis,, I'll kill you

lighten up Francis

welcome psycho

each state has different requirements when it comes to choosing which test and what you practice.

In IL for example, things are more general. Our regs just say to practice where you are knowledgable in, regardless of which test you took that day. With the exception of structural since there are additional tests for that. I work in the environmental realm but I took and passed the chemical test.

welcome psycho
each state has different requirements when it comes to choosing which test and what you practice.

In IL for example, things are more general. Our regs just say to practice where you are knowledgable in, regardless of which test you took that day. With the exception of structural since there are additional tests for that. I work in the environmental realm but I took and passed the chemical test.
There is a "only stamp what you know" clause in North Carolina.

I'm more concerned with showing that I have enough experience to the board to take the PE exam. I don't need someone telling me "Well, you've got 7 years experience in the Environmental field, but seeing you have an Electrical degree, and took the Electrical FE, that means you can only take the PE in Electrical, so come back when you have your 4 years experience in that field".

welcome psycho

There is a "only stamp what you know" clause in North Carolina.

I'm more concerned with showing that I have enough experience to the board to take the PE exam. I don't need someone telling me "Well, you've got 7 years experience in the Environmental field, but seeing you have an Electrical degree, and took the Electrical FE, that means you can only take the PE in Electrical, so come back when you have your 4 years experience in that field".
doesn't matter what FE exam you took. If it did then there would not be a general afternoon option.

Call the NC board and ask those very questions. The worst case scenario you have to go before the board and argue your case.

welcome psycho
Call the NC board and ask those very questions. The worst case scenario you have to go before the board and argue your case.
I did call, got irritated, and remembered why I hate engineers :angry: (yes this includes myself)

Best advice I've heard from my personal contacts is send it in and make them decide... I'm just trying to make sure that I give myself the best shot at sittng for the PE exam next year. I've had to retract docuements from review once (we'll just go with once)... anyways when you go back in asking questions and/or changing the original clients/reviewers/inspecters/politicians jump all over the changes, and I'm not up for that headache.

BTW - thanks for the responses guys.

It doesn't matter what your engineering degree is in versus the PE discipline you want to tswt in. Send ion your application and see what they say. It would look better if you've taken some formal Environmental training on top of the EE degree (and be siure to emphasize that). My degree is mechanical but I got my PE in structural. I had taken a number of courses related to structural (i.e. Concrete I and II, Steel design I and II, soil mechanics, etc.) prior to applying for the PE and I had more than the minimum experience time when I applied.

good luck.

My bachelors and masters are in envl. So I had the academic background and references best suited to the envl PE test. The test is more like homework questions than professional practice. So I took that one.

By practice, I'm mainly site-civil. Being licensed in envl has not hurt me so far. It was the fastest and easiest way for me to get licensed and get the benefits of being a PE. If push ever came to shove and it mattered that much career wise, I would do the necessary studying and take the civil exam.

My opinion is take the exam you are best suited for now.

Be nice to the NC Board people.... there's some anonymous ones on here that give tips when scores come out....

FYI.

I'm sitting for WR in NC for the 2nd time this April.

best of luck to you.... and if you aren't already living in Raleigh, get a hotel room... traffic in the AM is dreadful!

And stay away from the Days Inn downtown.... TERRIBLE and you will have the worst sleep ever!

Back