New Jersey news?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone give a rundown of what the next steps for NJ are?  (Getting anything in the mail, having to submit anything else, getting license #s, etc.)  The NCEES "next steps" link just brings you to the NJ consumer affairs site which doesn't have any directions and I see some states are getting their license #s already.  Just passed Civil Transportation first try! :)  

Can someone give a rundown of what the next steps for NJ are?  (Getting anything in the mail, having to submit anything else, getting license #s, etc.)  The NCEES "next steps" link just brings you to the NJ consumer affairs site which doesn't have any directions and I see some states are getting their license #s already.  Just passed Civil Transportation first try! :)  
They will send you a form in the mail, fill it out send the fee that they tell you, its prorated but i think its around $80, they also send you the requirements for your seal. You can leave of the "24" and the last two "00" of your number. Just be careful ordering your seal, I heard that one company did not have the most current NJ template and they had to re-cast and re-deliver it. I ordered from Acorn Sales, they were fast and they give you a .pdf and AutoCad(.dwg) copy of your seal for free. Just be aware of the N.J.A.C. requirements of using an the electronic seal, it is allowed in NJ, but the program you use to seal has to meet certain requirements (i.e. must be traceable, cannot edit the document once sealed) . The wallet cert. gets mailed out to you, the Wall cert. at a later date. I received my passing score on 12/4 my license was active on 12/26 by check the NJ DCA mylicense page, I got the wallet cert 2nd week of January. According to N.J.A.C. they have to expedite your license because if you met all the state requirements and if they hold you up from practicing engineering, you could potentially sue them. So If your waiting months you need to follow up with them. I am still waiting on my wall cert. Hope this helps.

They emailed me the letter I am guessing that will come in the mail. You have to pay $80 fee for the next two years of registration and then I think they issue the number to you.

They sent me a license activation form. Filled it and mailed it back with $80. That's the status right now.

Once they get your $80 fee ( this year was the renewal year, so there is no reduced price for new licenses) you should get license in about 2 weeks. The actual License is processed by the State of NJ. The wall certificate is processed by the Board of Engineers. For December exam, I got my wall certificate at the beginning of May. 

In regards to continuing education you don't need it for your initial license period. 

In regards to your seal it should have GE with your number. I had to get mine redone when i used pestamps, but they have the updated standards now and you should not have an issue. (check promotion forum, they usually give discounts after the results are released) I brought the stamp issue up to them last year, and I can confirm that the issue was not due to an issue in their production process.  The board emailed out specifications to new licensees which appear to be an old document that was photocopied which says to include GE. On the website for NJ, they had ( I haven't checked if they fixed it) a different version of this sepcification, which looks newer quality wise which doesn't show GE as being required on the seal. 

hmm I haven't received anything in the mail yet.  Weird that some of you have already.  Also, do we have to do a Law Exam?  I remember my friends that took it October 2016 had to do it and mail it in.

I passed October 2017.

Didnt have to take the Law Exam (it also was never checked off on the NJDCA MyLicense page). Everything cuatona1 is spot on for what appened with mine.

Still have not received my wall certificate.

I passed October 2017.

Didnt have to take the Law Exam (it also was never checked off on the NJDCA MyLicense page). Everything cuatona1 is spot on for what appened with mine.

Still have not received my wall certificate.
CCor84...I called the board yesterday as youngmotivatedengineer said..and I received my wall certificate today...I think they are already made just for some reason they are slow to send out...called the call center spoke with Teresa and she said that the processors were off this week...but I check the post mark and it was sent yesterday...so maybe it’s worth a shot

hmm I haven't received anything in the mail yet.  Weird that some of you have already.  Also, do we have to do a Law Exam?  I remember my friends that took it October 2016 had to do it and mail it in.
If you got your EIT in NJ you don’t have to do it...if you got it another state I think you still have too...I’ll check the NJAC and get back to you on that

If you got your EIT in NJ you don’t have to do it...if you got it another state I think you still have too...I’ll check the NJAC and get back to you on that
In NJ, the law exam is a requirement for EIT certificate.  You do not need to take it a second time. Since it is not part of PE license requirements, it wI'll joy be marked as completed on the online checklist. Apparently they just haven't had the time to update the online checklist to remove this line item. However,  I would highly recommend reading the laws that are posted on the Boards website. After reading the current laws, I found several violations that my company was making with the title block and business cards that we have since updated to comply with the current law. 

In NJ, the law exam is a requirement for EIT certificate.  You do not need to take it a second time. Since it is not part of PE license requirements, it wI'll joy be marked as completed on the online checklist. Apparently they just haven't had the time to update the online checklist to remove this line item. However,  I would highly recommend reading the laws that are posted on the Boards website. After reading the current laws, I found several violations that my company was making with the title block and business cards that we have since updated to comply with the current law. 

My situation's a little strange because I just passed the FE last year and was never activated as an EIT.  My references were out of date because I took it once 4 years before so i would have needed to get new references for the EIT at the same time I was applying for the PE.  The board said not to bother, so I never took the Law Exam.  I'll see what happens when they send me my letter.  My checklist for both the EIT and PE says "Not Applicable" for Passed NJ Law Exam.  If I had to guess, I bet the board doesn't realize and I won't have to take it.

My license was activated today.

Just curious is it PE or P.E. -- I have seen it both ways.

Just curious is it PE or P.E. -- I have seen it both ways.
Either is acceptable. It's a matter of personal preference.

I went with "P.E." because that's how the board members are listed on the Maryland state website. But the chairman signed my wall certificate with "PE" so.... yeah it doesn't matter.

FWIW, New Jersey uses "PE" as the board members postnominal on http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/pels/Pages/members.aspx

Yes sir. I would give them a call ... 
Just called. "The board just received your results today. Give it about a week or so and they'll mail it out"

Interesting considering they emailed me my result notice the same day NCEES released last Wednesday......

oh well, the hard part is over. What's another week

Young,

Not trying to discredit you or anything but N.J.A.C 13:40-2.4  (Requirements for EIT) states:

a) To be eligible for a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training, an applicant shall: 1) Submit a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) Pay the application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) Submit an official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) Submit a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) Submit proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14 if the applicant has received an undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English; and 6) Successfully complete the Part F portion of the examination unless waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12. b) A person in his or her junior or senior year of college pursuing either a degree in engineering or engineering technology shall be permitted to sit for the Part F portion of the examination if: 1) The applicant submits a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) The Board receives a letter from the applicant's school indicating that the applicant is currently enrolled as a junior or senior in good academic standing; 3) The Board receives an official transcript from the applicant's school indicating the courses completed by the applicant to date; 4) The applicant submits a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) The applicant pays the application fee required of engineer-in-training applicants as set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1 (a)1; and 6) For an applicant who is pursuing his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, the Board receives proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. c) The Board shall issue a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training to a person meeting the requirements of (b) above, upon the person meeting the requirements of (a)3 above. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education or training, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.5 (Requirements for PE) States:

a) An applicant for examination as a professional engineer shall submit the following to the Board: 1) A completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's educational and experiential background; 2) The application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) An official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) A minimum of five references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's experience or training, three of whom shall be licensed professional engineers in the United States. The professional references for that portion of the applicant's experience constituting the minimum experience required for licensure shall be professional engineers who were in responsible charge of that minimum experience. If the number of experience engagements necessary to constitute the minimum experience requires more than three professional references to confirm such experience, such additional professional references shall be required. Special circumstances may be considered by the Board at the time of application in such cases where a licensed professional engineer in responsible charge of the work being claimed by the applicant is not available; and 5) For an applicant who has received his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. b) To be eligible for licensure, the applicant shall have successfully passed the three-part examination for licensure consisting of: 1) Part F—Fundamentals of Engineering which may be waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12; 2) Part P—Principles and Practices of Engineering (this portion of the examination shall be taken after the applicant satisfies the experience requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.10); and 3) The New Jersey Law portion. c) If the applicant is seeking licensure by comity, in addition to meeting the requirements in (a) above, the applicant shall also: 1) Submit proof of successful completion of the examination requirements set forth in (b) above; and 2) Comply with the requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.16. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education, training, or experience, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

You have it reversed required for PE not required for EIT, however if you already took it and passed when you got your EIT, you shouldn't have to do it. But, if you didn't take the EIT in NJ, then chances are you did not take the NJ Law Exam.

Young,

Not trying to discredit you or anything but N.J.A.C 13:40-2.4  (Requirements for EIT) states:

a) To be eligible for a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training, an applicant shall: 1) Submit a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) Pay the application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) Submit an official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) Submit a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) Submit proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14 if the applicant has received an undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English; and 6) Successfully complete the Part F portion of the examination unless waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12. b) A person in his or her junior or senior year of college pursuing either a degree in engineering or engineering technology shall be permitted to sit for the Part F portion of the examination if: 1) The applicant submits a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) The Board receives a letter from the applicant's school indicating that the applicant is currently enrolled as a junior or senior in good academic standing; 3) The Board receives an official transcript from the applicant's school indicating the courses completed by the applicant to date; 4) The applicant submits a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) The applicant pays the application fee required of engineer-in-training applicants as set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1 (a)1; and 6) For an applicant who is pursuing his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, the Board receives proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. c) The Board shall issue a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training to a person meeting the requirements of (b) above, upon the person meeting the requirements of (a)3 above. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education or training, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.5 (Requirements for PE) States:

a) An applicant for examination as a professional engineer shall submit the following to the Board: 1) A completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's educational and experiential background; 2) The application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) An official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) A minimum of five references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's experience or training, three of whom shall be licensed professional engineers in the United States. The professional references for that portion of the applicant's experience constituting the minimum experience required for licensure shall be professional engineers who were in responsible charge of that minimum experience. If the number of experience engagements necessary to constitute the minimum experience requires more than three professional references to confirm such experience, such additional professional references shall be required. Special circumstances may be considered by the Board at the time of application in such cases where a licensed professional engineer in responsible charge of the work being claimed by the applicant is not available; and 5) For an applicant who has received his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. b) To be eligible for licensure, the applicant shall have successfully passed the three-part examination for licensure consisting of: 1) Part F—Fundamentals of Engineering which may be waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12; 2) Part P—Principles and Practices of Engineering (this portion of the examination shall be taken after the applicant satisfies the experience requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.10); and 3) The New Jersey Law portion. c) If the applicant is seeking licensure by comity, in addition to meeting the requirements in (a) above, the applicant shall also: 1) Submit proof of successful completion of the examination requirements set forth in (b) above; and 2) Comply with the requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.16. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education, training, or experience, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

You have it reversed required for PE not required for EIT, however if you already took it and passed when you got your EIT, you shouldn't have to do it. But, if you didn't take the EIT in NJ, then chances are you did not take the NJ Law Exam.
Okay, never realized it was only required at PE and not EIT. I first took FE exam in 2006 ( fresh out of college before starting workwith a construction company that had no PE so I lost 5 years towards required experience ). Even before passing the FE exam, they sent us information for the heads law exam so I thought it was required for EIT.

In theory,  the board should probably make it a requirement for the EIT certification. This way those individuals would know exactly what they can and can't do as an EIT. Or maybe do it for both exams with general questions and questions specific to EIT and PE. 

Back