Need Seismic Review Course Recommendations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclone

Reaction score
I'm from out of state and got my results from the April test. Passed the survey but failed the seismic. I studied from review books and thought I was prepared, but they didn't prepared me for the questions on seismic test! I'd like to do an on-line review to better prepare. Any suggestions? Is the Hiner course a good one? Thanks.

I'm from out of state and got my results from the April test. Passed the survey but failed the seismic. I studied from review books and thought I was prepared, but they didn't prepared me for the questions on seismic test! I'd like to do an on-line review to better prepare. Any suggestions? Is the Hiner course a good one? Thanks.
I took Hiner's class and passed seismic on the first try. I highly recommend the live seminars, but if you live out-of-state, then you'd have to take the online class. I'm not sure how effective they will be, but it won't hurt. Since you've already taken the test, the subject matter will probably become clearer for you than someone who's never learned seismic at all.

It's all about doing problems and knowing how to browse the codes.

Good luck!

I highly recommend getting Hiner's SDR. I passed this test a while back with just the workbook + ASCE Min. Load + IBC 2006. Read the workbook as many times as you can and understand the principles. Manage your time during the exam and remember all the improtant tables.

Good luck and hope you pass next time around.

Hope that helps.

I did not take Heiner's review course because it was not offered in So. Cal. this past spring. After checking these boards I did get his workbook and studied off of that. I think it made the difference.

Here is what I used to study:

Seismic Design of Building Structures (SEIS9), 9th Edition by Kurt M. McMullin, PE, Michael R. Lindeburg, PE, 2008

SEISMIC DESIGN REVIEW - WORKBOOK 2006 IBC version Steven T. Hiner www.seismicreview.com

~~~I think this really helped. The first 2 times I failed the exam and did not have this book.

345 Solved Seismic Design Problems (SESP5), 5th Edition by Majid Baradar, PE, 2009

~~~ did some random plroblems here and there to suppliment studying.

+

2007 CBC Tl 24. Pt 2. vol 2 (I guess you can use the IBC, but I didn't have it, i have the CBC)

ASCE 7-05 (I see people show up w/o this atthe exam... I don't know how they pass w/o the ASCE 7)

I had failed Seismic twice before and I had all the above listed material with the exception of the Heiner SDR workbook which I bought this spring to study for this past exam. Since I had studied off of the Lindburg book twice before i was already familair with it and had tabbed and highlighted it from times before. So this time when I studued i would studyy off of Heiner's book, but Would have lindburg there notign what chapters and pages covered the samer thing and re-reviwed those at the same time. The two books cover only about 70% of the same thing. There is about 30% of each book that covers something the other book doesn't cover therefore I suggest using both references.

I did not take Heiner's review course because it was not offered in So. Cal. this past spring. After checking these boards I did get his workbook and studied off of that. I think it made the difference.

Here is what I used to study:

Seismic Design of Building Structures (SEIS9), 9th Edition by Kurt M. McMullin, PE, Michael R. Lindeburg, PE, 2008

SEISMIC DESIGN REVIEW - WORKBOOK 2006 IBC version Steven T. Hiner www.seismicreview.com

~~~I think this really helped. The first 2 times I failed the exam and did not have this book.

345 Solved Seismic Design Problems (SESP5), 5th Edition by Majid Baradar, PE, 2009

~~~ did some random plroblems here and there to suppliment studying.

+

2007 CBC Tl 24. Pt 2. vol 2 (I guess you can use the IBC, but I didn't have it, i have the CBC)

ASCE 7-05 (I see people show up w/o this atthe exam... I don't know how they pass w/o the ASCE 7)

I had failed Seismic twice before and I had all the above listed material with the exception of the Heiner SDR workbook which I bought this spring to study for this past exam. Since I had studied off of the Lindburg book twice before i was already familair with it and had tabbed and highlighted it from times before. So this time when I studued i would studyy off of Heiner's book, but Would have lindburg there notign what chapters and pages covered the samer thing and re-reviwed those at the same time. The two books cover only about 70% of the same thing. There is about 30% of each book that covers something the other book doesn't cover therefore I suggest using both references.
If you cannot/won't attend Hiner's class, let look for Hiner's book with highlights (from those who attended class). It will helps alot. Also, Hiner has sent pages of IBC and ASCE 7-05 with highlights that will speed up your search during the exam. I guessed only one question in the last seismic exam, the answer was not in Hiner's book but in the IBC, highlighted.

Hope it will help.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to request that my company pay for the Hiner webinar.

Back