NEC in the EE PE, what should we study?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2keylargo

Reaction score
What sections of the NEC will the questions come from? My guess it to look thru the conductor ampacitys, grounding, service entrance requirements - it is a big code book - do questions come from all over? What is your advice on studying the NEC?

When I was studying for the exam, my strategy was to get really familiar with cable sizing and the rules for sizing protective devices. Specifically, I made sure I understood how to deal with cable derating factors associated with table 310.16. My experience in the actual test was that the questions can come from anywhere in the code. Having the NEC handbook was a really big help.

What I did was go thru all the codes covered by the EERM. After that I worked all the NEC codes problems from the sample questions for EERM, six minute solutions and NCEES sample exams noting for each question which codes were applied and how this helped solved the question. I also marked name and pages of these codes in my notes for easy reference if needed. Please ensure you have an up to date NEC code manual. Bare in mind that these codes questions are quite arbitrary and sometimes will call on your experience, but with a little practice and some luck you can get thru.

Good luck

Thanks, I have a 2005 NEC Handbook, with tabs. Just a lot of stuff to look at for someone who rarely uses the NEC! I've been perusing the Handbook, and I can get engrossed in reading a section, following the references to other articles, having something on the page catch my eye - getting distracted a lot. I guess I'll not try to study too much, just get more familiar with the layout. Gotta work thru the sample test in these few remaining days!

:p10940623:

For the NEC, I would suggest being familiar with the following:

1. Where Table 310-16 is and how to use it properly.

2. How to use the temperature correction factors at the bottom of Table 310.16.

3. How to apply Table 310.15,B,2,a (Adjustment factors for more than 3 current-carrying conductors in a raceway.

4. Know Section 430 - Motors. How to size ocpd, thermal overload, conductors.

5. Know about GFCI's and where they are required.

Good luck to all taking the October 24, 2008 PE Exam!

Thanks for the suggestions NVRSTOP. I need to focus on the parts that matter for the exam, as I don't use it in my utility engr. job. :thankyou:

Back