NCEES Record

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing about this was you need 5 PEs to provide their names as a reference. Unless you work for a company that is chock full of PEs, aren't you screwed?
No, because they don't need to be directly familiar with your work product - it should be the same as I wrote about in this post. And your supervisors don't need to be PEs.

Read the thread I linked to...
I appreciate your response and I did read the thread. But I do not know 5 PE's and according to the NCEES website:

Submit five references that can reflect the character and diversity of your experience and are personally acquainted with your professional reputation. Your references MUST be currently licensed professional engineers and known as such to you.

100% percent of the people I have worked with and for do not have PEs. CO does not require you work under PEs to obtain a license, they only require that you have sufficient enginering experience.
It doesn't read "personally acquainted with your professional WORK PRODUCT"... it reads REPUTATION, which means (in theory!) a client, a friend, someone on this board, etc. They just can't be related to you.
You're a gentleman and a scholar.

And your supervisors don't need to be PEs.
I just got my Record in October and submitted for comity in KS, OK, IA, and MN. I had no problems with having an unlicensed supervisor in KS, OK, and MN and have gotten licensed in all of those states. However in IA, they were taking a long time in comparison with the other 3. I called and they said that my application was going to have to go to a board meeting for approval because they require experience under a licensed supervisor. They tell me this a week before the board meeting. However, you can have an unlicensed supervisor fill out their reference form plus an unlicensed tutelage form and submit that in addition to the NCEES Record. They said if I could get that to them before the board meeting then my application would probably get approved. Otherwise, if it didn't get to them in time, I would have to wait another 2 months until their next board meeting for approval. Board meeting is tomorrow so hopefully I hear something soon. They got my forms today.

Anyway, to make a long story short, in general I haven't had problems with an unlicensed supervisor, but some states might have additional hoops to jump through if you do.

The only thing about this was you need 5 PEs to provide their names as a reference. Unless you work for a company that is chock full of PEs, aren't you screwed?
No, because they don't need to be directly familiar with your work product - it should be the same as I wrote about in this post. And your supervisors don't need to be PEs.

Read the thread I linked to...
I appreciate your response and I did read the thread. But I do not know 5 PE's and according to the NCEES website:

Submit five references that can reflect the character and diversity of your experience and are personally acquainted with your professional reputation. Your references MUST be currently licensed professional engineers and known as such to you.

100% percent of the people I have worked with and for do not have PEs. CO does not require you work under PEs to obtain a license, they only require that you have sufficient enginering experience.
It doesn't read "personally acquainted with your professional WORK PRODUCT"... it reads REPUTATION, which means (in theory!) a client, a friend, someone on this board, etc. They just can't be related to you.
You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I am an Electrical PE, I don't mind giving you a PE reference, I need one too...

If they think there's a chance they will need another state license quickly.
Not just quickly... if you think you'd have a hard time tracking down work experience references in the future, establishing a record now gets that out of the way today for any time in the future. Just keep up with "reputation" references (one a year and can be anyone other than a relative) and you're good to go.

If they think there's a chance they will need another state license quickly.
Not just quickly... if you think you'd have a hard time tracking down work experience references in the future, establishing a record now gets that out of the way today for any time in the future. Just keep up with "reputation" references (one a year and can be anyone other than a relative) and you're good to go.

Yeah that's true!

Can anyone give me the specifics on how much I need to write for the Job Experience section?

NCEES says it needs to be more detailed of my tasks and responsibilities, what exactly do they want to see?

thanks,

Can anyone give me the specifics on how much I need to write for the Job Experience section?
NCEES says it needs to be more detailed of my tasks and responsibilities, what exactly do they want to see?

thanks,
Keep it short to about 2 or 3 lines per item they're asking (tasks, level of responsibility, decisions made, projects). Use terms such as "analysis", "calculations", "modeling", "design" in your descriptions and be explicit with the type of engineering you've been doing. Adjectives like "complex" and "engineering" and verbs like "analyze", "perform", "provide", "review" are eye-catching for the reviewer. Also, keep it simple and dry. Remember, we're engineers! :)

Good luck!

Actually this is what I did. I guess I will rewrite them and make them longer. Basically I wrote similiar things as when I was applying to take the test.

i have a foreign undergrad & i am in pa. its hard. trying last 12 months to fullfill their requirements.

i have a foreign undergrad & i am in pa. its hard. trying last 12 months to fullfill their requirements.

Has your school transfered all your transcript?. Mind you, in NY, the board also verify by sending

a letter to your school after they receive the transcript, if your foreign school fails to reply,

The transript will not be evaluated and you will not be approved to seat for FE or PE examination.

Find out what the hinderances are.

Back