NCEES Question 532 - Multi-Story Building

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palvarez83

Project Engineer
Reaction score
I have the construction depth sample exam from 2011 and have a question regarding sample problem #532. I've looked this over and over and the solution doesn't make sense to me.

The question is what is the load applied on floor #7 immediately after the step in question. They give some load table that I don't fully understand.

By my logic the load on any floor is just equal to the load above it. In this case the load on #7 would be the weigh of floor 8 + 2 sets of shores/forms + worker live load = 1D+2x0.1D+0.4D = 1.6D.

However, on the solution, it seems to use loads from the table. It also divides each of the load components by 2 (saying it is split between floors 7&8). I feel like I may not be understanding the question. How can the loads be split between 2 floors? I thought they were additive.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I believe it is because the temporary shoring transfers the load to the floors below. I believe a similar problem is explained in SP-4 Formwork for Concrete

Back