NCEES Practice Exam Question 506 - Vertical Curve Sight Distance

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny9Mo

Reaction score
In question 506 of the practice exam, it asks for the minimum length of curve required for adequate stopping sight distance for a design speed of 60MPH. This is a sag curve with G1= -1.35% and G2= 2.40% The solution uses L=K*A = 136*(3.75%)=510'. What they did not show in the solution is if they checked to see if S<L or S>L utilizing equations (3-48) and (3-50), respectively, in the GDHS-6 Edition. My questions is, when calculating passing/stopping sight distances, is using L=K*A a "failsafe" approach to solving equations like this, or is this the method they choose to solve this particular problem. The reason I ask this is becasue other practice problems show solutions verifying S<L or S>L using the appropriate equations (i.e. sag curve vs. crest curve). Thanks. in adavance.

what version of the practice exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
NCEES Practice Exam: Transportation Depth. On the inside of the front page it has "April 2013 Second Printing". I bought this exam last September, if that helps. Also, to expand on the first post, generally speaking, will L=K*A alwaybe correct?

I believe the table on page 3-161 essentialy does the math for you. The table uses the stopping site distance on flat ground for a given speed So, I believe the answer to your question is yes.

Just be mindful of what they are asking for. For example, if the ask for decision site distance on a sag curve, the table on page 3-161 will give to large a distance.

I'd solve this problem by going straight to the sag VC figure - Figure 3-44. Quick and easy. No need for any math. No need to worry about K. No need to worry about S > or < L. As a time saver, I'd recommend you guys be familiar with the figures.

I was just following up on this. As I drove back from the bridge site, I was thinking I didn't like how I was not solid on my understanding. I just spent more time reading.

So, yes the tables can be used. I just read the area right of the curved dash section indicates s<l. The lower left is s>L. Looking at the figures now I see that is actaully labled as well. So, the charts definately can and should be used.

Back