NCEES PE Pass rates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - Environmental went down from 73% after the October 2010 exam to 60% after the April 2011 exam. I wonder why the big change?

I failed at my attempt this past April, and will be taking again in Oct. Just curious as to why the repeat takers percentage is so low? I would assume that 2nd or 3rd time takers of the test would have a higher chance of passing since they are more aware of what's on the test, and thus better prepared? This low percentage of repeat takers passing the test has my confidence rather shot right now.

I failed at my attempt this past April, and will be taking again in Oct. Just curious as to why the repeat takers percentage is so low? I would assume that 2nd or 3rd time takers of the test would have a higher chance of passing since they are more aware of what's on the test, and thus better prepared? This low percentage of repeat takers passing the test has my confidence rather shot right now.
I hear you..... it is supposed to be the other way around right?

In my opinion, the lower pass rates for repeat takers are probably due to the using the same study habits for each exam and expecting improvement. I failed April 2010 and October 2010 before passing this time around. The first two times I tried a lot of review with a little problem solving. This past exam, my prep consisted of problem solving only. I worked through all of the 6 minute solutions books and the NCEES problem book doing 3-5 problems per day. Working through these books gets you familiar with your references and helps eliminate those that you don't need. By the way I took the Civil-water resources and environmental exam. Hope this helps. Good luck next time.

Back