NCEES Credential Evaluation Issues: Foreign Grad

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aka,

I think you are up against something that is more complicated than you actually think:

1. The evaluators at NCEES will not give you credit for something just because you have been through the curriculum. There has to be official exams results present before credit can be granted just like their requirement for transcripts submission even at the "college-setting" courses as part of the evaluation. They evaluate collective courses content per ABET standards, not degree or educational system. That is why even in the US some degrees do not meet the ABET criteria. Imagine a US high school student saying "well I did study for an AP exam and even took a prep course in HS but although I did not end up writing the exams, I have to be given college level credit for PHY I/II because I did go through the curriculum". You have to take the standardized exam.

2. It has to be demostrated by competency i.e. a certain minimum grade letter depending on the metric of comparison. Even with the AP, A-Level, IB, German Arbitur exams etc, you need to score a certain minimum grade before it becomes relevant. Aside from NCEES, even with colleges here in the US who give college-level credit for these standardized exams, you need a certain minimum score.

3. A national standardized exam at the HS level may not neccessarily be an "internationally benchmarked" exam. Globally, exams like A-Levels, IB, AP have been the benchmark for most college-level credit granting institutions. Therefore, the national HS terminal exam in India although may have the right and equivalent ingredients compared to these international exams, the fact that there is no precendence of it being actually officially benchmarked against these other well known exams makes it tough for most credential evaluators to have something to work with when it comes to issues like these. Questions like these come to mind:

(a) How does the content compare to A-levels, IB exams, AP exams etc?

(B) Did the HS educational system transform from a "old British" 13 yr duration (O-levels plus A-levels for instance) to the modern 12-yr duration while maintaining the core syllabi content (that is 100% O-levels plus maybe minimum 70% A-levels) or is it just a totally different content structure (like only 100% O-levels or 100% O-levels and 10% A-levels)? It helps a lot if the issuing board has their exam syllabi benchmarked against the British or IB exams.

© Is it offered on a multinational platform (with an internationally accredited coalition like WestAfricanExamsCouncil, EastAfricanExamsCouncil, US College Board, IB, Cambridge International etc) or on just a national platform?

These are issues that will take a lot of effort on the part of the foreign Exams bodies to pursue on their own with their graduates feeling the trickling down effect. You trying to argue with the evaluator will not sway him/her unless there is a verifiable paper trail somewhere he/she can work with. Moreover, most of these foreign HS Exams boards, and even colleges, are oblivious to some of these problems their graduates face in the US Professional Licensing arena because, traditionally, foreign graduates have never had a problem with going to college in the US with their foreign HS credentials. Shoot! Most foreigners coming right out of HS will drool at the thought of being given admission to a US college and would not even bring up this whole "I did this already in HS" stuff; because guess what, you haven't lost much time so far in your education as you are being given the chance to pursue a degree with your US conterparts on the same footing.

However, it becomes a big deal when after spending 12 to 13 years in HS plus 4 years in college, all outside the US, and you then finally find yourself in the US competing with an American graduate.

Maybe you need to make a call to the Indian HS Exams board and see what strings you can pull but I doubt if that will help if there is not that precedence already somewhere in the international credential evaluation arena for India.

Hope this helps.

aka,

this is not enough there should be a detailed course outline, under each courses you took, there should be topics covered, as what i have said i know architecture i studied this, the outline im talking should match exactly the NCEES FE topics covered for the exams if not then youre gonna have to go to school again or depends on the evaluators decision. good luck.

The reason Im saying that the Course Outline should be shown, coz, the applications in Engineering is different, example you have a subject here " Economics", in " Engineering Economics" comparing the two, the applications are different, Enginering Economics deals Machines, Buildings etc. which relates to Civil and MEchanical etc. while plain Economics, might be Business Economics or any application and non Engineering. I hope you would understand this. The same with Math, "Engineering Mathematics" is different, applications could be in Mechanical Springs etc. or Electronic Circuits etc. etc.

Structural theory, in Architecture it only covers the basic static analysis and determinate structures, while in Civil/structural Engineering its complex, it is in depth from indeterminate sstructures, to dynamic structural analysis etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
This link gives you an overview only http://www.iitr.ac.i...%20Planning.pdf

This link will give you a better idea of the course outline http://www.iitr.ac.in/academics/pages/Course_Syllabi.html. You will have to go to each department for course details.

If subject code reads MA then the course is taught by Mathematics department, if it is EE then by Electronics department, EC by Electronics and Communication department, BT by Biotecchnology, MI by Mechanical and Industrial, CE by Civil Engg department, AR by Architecture department and so forth. These courses are common to all engineering students and taught and tested alongwith engineering students. In other words, if you score an "A" in MA, CE, EE etc. courses then the sample space includes both Engg. and Arch. students.

In many respects Architecture is tough at IIT as it incorporates both basic engineering and pure design courses. The thought process being, an Architect should be able to intrinsically understand all building systems and integrate them in a cohesive manner.

BTW, I am drafting a case for my evaluator. Hopefully, my HS board of education is accredited somewhere! Wish me luck.

From the course descriptions, you can see that we aren't taught calculus, organic chemistry etc. Now, the HARD part is to show the book to the evaluator.

Also, worth noting is that to get into my college we give Joint Entrance Exam (in my time it was REE). The link has the syllabus (from page 14 onwards) http://jee.iitm.ac.in/images/ib2012.pdf. As you would see, you need to be good at basic sciences to give this entrance exam. Again this argument won't hold water with the evaluator.

Aka251,

Cannot you go to another state for taking your FE who does not ask for accreditation?

OR

Cannot you get your credentials get evaluated other than NCEES (like ACCRAO)?

newbie_2012

ACCRAO is not listed as evaluators by NJ DCA. Does ACCRAO have reasonable evaluation criteria?

Can you suggest another state where ACCRAO is accepted?

The state website states; "Please note that those applying for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam who hold a foreign undergraduate degree

and a US graduate degree in engineering may apply under Class 9 without an evaluation."

I don't fit the bill. Perhaps, exploring ACCRAO will be my plan B if NCEES is adamant. Don't think my employer will pay for it though.

Thanks.

I had a same situation like yours. It was difficult to work with NJ DCP. I have my under-graduate degree from India and masters from Canada. Worked for me by registering for FE at Connecticut board.

I know CT board accepts evaluation from ACCRAO for PE tests.

Good Luck!

This link gives you an overview only http://www.iitr.ac.i...%20Planning.pdf

This link will give you a better idea of the course outline http://www.iitr.ac.i...se_Syllabi.html. You will have to go to each department for course details.

If subject code reads MA then the course is taught by Mathematics department, if it is EE then by Electronics department, EC by Electronics and Communication department, BT by Biotecchnology, MI by Mechanical and Industrial, CE by Civil Engg department, AR by Architecture department and so forth. These courses are common to all engineering students and taught and tested alongwith engineering students. In other words, if you score an "A" in MA, CE, EE etc. courses then the sample space includes both Engg. and Arch. students.

In many respects Architecture is tough at IIT as it incorporates both basic engineering and pure design courses. The thought process being, an Architect should be able to intrinsically understand all building systems and integrate them in a cohesive manner.

BTW, I am drafting a case for my evaluator. Hopefully, my HS board of education is accredited somewhere! Wish me luck.
Aka,

I did check you course outline, and sad to say unfortunately, youre courses arent complete based on NCEES outline again I have to cite an example, your Structural Theory 1 and 2 is only up to three moment eqn (simple cases) in PE exams, it involves more than this, indeterminate frame analysis etc. another example your Electrical Course is way off, in FE Electrical, it involves Electrical Engineers circuits like Ohms Law, Kirchoffs law, Y DElta etc even Laplace Transforms, in this case youre not ready for this. My suggestion go to www.ncees.org and check your deficiencies. I hope youll understand better this time.

aka,

it doesnt matter if your professors are from respective departments on each course discipline, the courses itself show the content and based on NCEES outline, it doesnt fully match. Good luck and see what you can do.

aka,

This is something I also found at the IL board website to corroborate my earlier comments about NCEES granting credit for High school transcripts in Math and Sciences for former British empire nations. See page 6.

Hope it helps.

PEMinutesJune232011.pdf

Attachments

• PEMinutesJune232011.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 27
Back