My Iran strategy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
This rant occurred to me last night when I was watching some show about new American fighter jet technology, and wondering just who in the hell we think it is that we're going to be fighting with these techonological marvels.

Why are we even considering getting bogged down in another nasty, costly conventional conflict in the middle east? After the first few days, it will jsut bog down into low-tech, bloody fighting anyway.

If Iran wants to play the nuke game, let them. We know how to play the nuke game better than anyone else, so why should we worry?

I say we've gone far too long without a good nuclear smack-down. Other countries and terrorists are getting kind of uppity these days, maybe just because they've forgotten the truly awesome destructive power that we can unleash on them.

If Iran is gettting close to developing their first nulcear weapon, I say we just give them one: a few megaton device, detonated 500 feet above their nuclear facility. That will set their nuke program back indefinitely, and seriously discourage anyone else's nuclear ambitions as well. Give them 12 hours warning to get their people out, if you want.

Seriously, why do we continue to risk American lives in nasty, protracted ground wars? Nuclear weapons are terrible, and that's why they're so effective, and why we built them. You really don't have to use them, or at a minimum, you only need to use them once or twice, and your enemies tend to straighten themselves out. Especially when they don't have them. We have the technological edge on this particular enemy, let's use it. Or at least, be very serious about the threat of using it.

Discuss.

Its the good-guy dilemma - we did this once, and the ethical ramifications of (our) govt sanctioned genocide can still be felt - Now, just the 'bad guys' are the targeted ones (arguably as it should be) - but to the extreme benefit of rogue dictators & extremist groups, and to the detriment of our soldiers & military. But it sure would be nice to do a little Axl Rose action to Afganistan, Iraq, & Iran: "you wanna antagonize me?, antagonize me motherf#cker, step into the ring motherf#cker, and i'll kick your bitchy little ass punk!"

^ That mushroom cloud is too small. I'm talking megaton range:

26th3d64.gif

I often wondered why we didnt create some sort of "accident" in Iran, whats the point in stealth technology if your not going to use it....

I think the Israelis will end up nuking Iran before we do. If Iran doesn't cool there jets, it might be sooner than we think.

I can't remember who it was, but back in the first Gulf War, a general or admiral was asked about our nuclear capabilities in the area. He said, "We can nuke this place to glass, tie fatback on our feet, and go skating."

I'm all for loaning Israel a couple F-22s for the weekend...
F-22 is an air superiority fighter and doesn't have nuclear capability. Of course, I worked on it in 95, so that may not be true now.

I don't think nukes would work on an enemy willing to die to kill us. Japan just had Kamikaze pilots, not a Kamikaze army.

We will get through these conflicts by bringing technology and opportunity to the general population. Once they see what its like to worry about who's gonna win a basketball game versus what its like to worry about how they are gonna spend their $0.25 paycheck, they will no longer feel the need to listen to the radical religious leaders telling them true happiness is a C4 cardigan.

But thats just me.

If someone from Iran saw this thread, what do you expect them to think?

They may think you want to kill them just as much as you think they want to kill us.

And please don't take this as supporting a nation such as Iran having nuclear weapons.

aside from nuking them back to the stone ages (which you cant really do cause thats where the continue to live) the next best way to piss them off is to stop buying oil from them or anyone else in the "sand" over there, or Russia, China, South America, etc.

Come up with a way for most passengar cars to run off something other than gas and they are not a concern of ours anymore.

^huh... I wonder why no one else has thought of that... we should get to work on it right away! we'll be rich!

its the classic republican / democrat struggle, republicans suposidly are in bed with rich oil companies and Saudi Arabia and the democrats are accused of being in bed with the unions in Detroit who make the gaz guzzling engines, assuming both would be effected negatively with a reasonable alternative to the automobile engine, were basically fucked as a people.

I hear New Zealand is nice though ?

If someone from Iran saw this thread, what do you expect them to think?
They may think you want to kill them just as much as you think they want to kill us.

And please don't take this as supporting a nation such as Iran having nuclear weapons.

I'd expect them to start pressuring their government to stop playing with fire -it's called nuclear deterrance, and as abhorrent as it may seem (I don't like it either), let's face it: it worked for us vs. the Soviets for 40 years of relative peace, and the genie's already out of the bottle, anyway.

Besides, I am only advocating nuking their weapons plant, AND giving them fair warning.

FYI, the US hasnt bought oil from Iran for over 20 years now. We also dont buy natural gas from them even though Iran has the largest natural gas reserves on the planet (Russia is a close 2nd).

My question is why nuke their weapons plants? Conventional weapons could just as easily destroy them without the political fall out. Remeber it only took a few bombs for Israel to shut down the Osirak reactor and the suspected Syrain reactor last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd expect them to start pressuring their government to stop playing with fire -it's called nuclear deterrance, and as abhorrent as it may seem (I don't like it either), let's face it: it worked for us vs. the Soviets for 40 years of relative peace, and the genie's already out of the bottle, anyway.
Besides, I am only advocating nuking their weapons plant, AND giving them fair warning.
The problem that I have with giving them fair warning is that their government will likely pull all the 'important' people out (government officials, scientists) and set up a refugee village at the plant with innocent civilians. If we go through with the nuke, then we are even more the bad guys, and the whole jihad argument will start up again.

I think youre right FL.... but not just a refugee camp, but a grade school and a Mosque...

My Fiancee has family in Iran, according to her, most of the people living there are not in favor of what the government is/has been doing. They do think that they should be able to have nuclear energy for power, as Tehran has VERY poor air quality (worst in the world?). BUT Since they will not let us inspect their facilitys, we have no way to know for sure what they are doing (although is seems pretty well accepted that they are making wepons).

The US has decided to protect Isreal (why?) and this makes Iran a threat to us. Our involvement in a religious turf war that has been going on for millenia is (in my opinion) unnecessary.

I just feel bad for the civilians in Iran, who have no control over what their government is doing, who are affected by this. The fact that some of them will be my inlaws soon brings it closer to home for me.

FYI, the US hasnt bought oil from Iran for over 20 years now. We also dont buy natural gas from them even though Iran has the largest natural gas reserves on the planet (Russia is a close 2nd).
My question is why nuke their weapons plants? Conventional weapons could just as easily destroy them without the political fall out. Remeber it only took a few bombs for Israel to shut down the Osirak reactor and the suspected Syrain reactor last year.
Because nothing says you're serious like a nuclear strike? Nothing deters further attempts as well?

I'm only half serious. I agree that there are probably other, better ways to go about doing this. But I just wonder "why?" sometimes, when I see how many people are suffering and dying in the protracted Iran conflict, and wonder what a protracted Iran conflict would be. Delusional or not, nuclear weapons were thought to be the ultimate deterrance to that sort of war, at one time. Our country has poured a great deal of its wealth and talent into developing those weapons, why waste more life NOT using them?

If someone from Iran saw this thread, what do you expect them to think?They may think you want to kill them just as much as you think they want to kill us.
We're just a bunch of red-blooded american sons talking about a rogue, uncivilized country w/ a rogue dictatorship that doesn't fit into the eclectic nature of the missive of the United Nations & applicable world goodwill interests. Our society is not delusional or brought up from birth to have it in for a country or culture, as they are (once upon a time we may have been).

In short, f#ck the f#cking f#ckers -

Last edited by a moderator:
Back