my experience of passing PE trans

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggieye

Reaction score
Books bring to the exam:

CERM (it surprises me that I actually use it more than I expected. I studied all the test master notes and do not study the CERM at all. However, the index really helps! For some questions that I have no idea, I use the index to locate the chapter and it helped me solve some concept questions)

Test master notes (I separate it by 4 binders, each binder has specific topic. It helps me easier to locate the solution. You can’t expect that studying test master alone can help you pass the exam. You have to go deeper for the afternoon. However, for those who already forget most of the basic knowledge in undergrad school, test master notes organize everything and make you feel much more comfortable about the morning. I studies every chapter and did all the examples in testmaster notes)

All-in-one (there are 2 morning and 1 afternoon practice exams. I did the three exams at least 2 times. The questions are difficult, but some questions are very similar to the exam. It is a very cheap book and values much more than its price)

NCEES practice exam (don’t need I emphasize this book. I practice this at least 5 times. I remember every single question in this book. The real exam format is almost exactly same as this practice exam.)

Green book, MUTCD, HCM (those 3 book are the most important manual books. Even though the test master notes already include the most important chapters among those 3 books, I still go through the 3 books page by page. GB I only studies the chapter 3,9,10. MUTCD I studies the whole book and focus on the tables. HCM I only studied the chapters wherever I encounter in the practice exams and testmaster notes. Get familiar with those 3 books. It is very important!)

RDG (RDG I bring is not the newest version. there is one question that I can locate the table in this book, but the values are not listed in the choices. I think bring the newest version is important. On the other hand, I only encounter one question from RDG, the choice is on you).

I also bring Asphalt handbook only because I can borrow one. I do encounter one problem from this book.  But the equation is also available in CERM.

During the exam day:

I arrived at the site around 7:05am. I see people come really late (after 7:30am). I do not recommend doing this!! You need some time to relax and organize your book.

It took me 10 minutes before I can fully concentrate on the exam. Do not panic if you don’t know how to solve few questions. I heard people say go through the whole exam and number of level of difficulties of the questions from 1 to 3. Work on the easiest first. However, I don’t feel comfortable doing this. I just quickly go thought the whole exam, and answer the question one by one. Skip the difficult one and come back to it later.

Don’t eat too much for the lunch. I was too stressed the week before the exam. The whole week I did not have good sleep. At the exam day, the last one hour, my brain really hurts and I felt I can’t think anymore. There were few questions that I planned to check the solution, but my brain hurts too much so I gave up.

My experience of studying

I am currently a graduate student in civil engineering. I just took one class which almost goes through the whole GB. That is my huge advantage. Also, I encounter some questions during the exam that I solved them because of undergrad school classes (as my memory is still fresh).

I register the exam at June, then I studies PE one hour a day for 3 months. At the October, I start to be really stressed! Whenever I think about the PE, I felt like I going to fail! Then I start to study 3 hours a day for a month. The total study time is around 200 hours. But I mean high quality, fully concentrated 200 hours. The last week I did not study much because I don’t want to stress myself too much. The day before the exam, I just relax and watch TV. I bet we all be through very hard time for the PE exam. If you felt depressed or stressed, you are not alone! We all had been there.

Last, I live in Louisiana, if anyone in this area need tutor for PE study, please contact me by [email protected] ($35/hour). I am very good at hydrology and geotech. I am also very familiar with vertical curve, horizontal curve and super elevation (all GB material). For other topics, I am also able to provide help.

also, I forgot to mention that this website really helps me a lot! I use this website as a starting point. then I went through all the examples posted here. This helps me get familiar with the manual books.

Back