MUTCD Warrant Problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulls2030

Reaction score
So i have taken the NCEES PM Transportation practice exam and got a 29/40 on it. Would that be considered a good score?

Also, I think I get how to solve the problems related to MUTCD Warrants (because I have been getting these type of probmels correct more or less), but does anyone have a step by step procedure how to solve them?

29/40 is sufficient but not with a whole lot of buffer.  If you think your strength is the PM, and you may perform a little lower in the AM, then you'll want to beef up your PM score to compensate.  If you think you'll do better in the AM than the PM, then a 29 is good. 

Sorry, I am not sure exactly what you are looking for - I think the MUTCD warrants are fairly self explanatory (with some little tricks, and traps to avoid) so I am not sure what you mean by step by step procedure? 

So i have taken the NCEES PM Transportation practice exam and got a 29/40 on it. Would that be considered a good score?

Also, I think I get how to solve the problems related to MUTCD Warrants (because I have been getting these type of probmels correct more or less), but does anyone have a step by step procedure how to solve them?
Might be best for you to create your own step by step worksheet (i.e. solved problems) so you can follow absorb the information more and follow through fairly quickly during the exam. 

Ok so I guess I'll use a problem to just make sure I am understanding how to solve these problems correctly.

The problem (link below) asks which warrants are satisfied. So warrant 1 is satisfied because within the 12 hours of traffic counts given, the top 8 counts for the total vehicles major street (as I have numbered) satisfy MUTCD Warrant 1 for the 70% columns. So i just want to confirm for the "Higher Volume Minor Street Approach", do I use the values in the same hours of the top 8 I chose in the total vehicles major street column?

I hope my question makes sense. If not, I can clarify again. 

http://imgur.com/s2ICwPZ

http://imgur.com/OcwEPgY

Ok so I guess I'll use a problem to just make sure I am understanding how to solve these problems correctly.

The problem (link below) asks which warrants are satisfied. So warrant 1 is satisfied because within the 12 hours of traffic counts given, the top 8 counts for the total vehicles major street (as I have numbered) satisfy MUTCD Warrant 1 for the 70% columns. So i just want to confirm for the "Higher Volume Minor Street Approach", do I use the values in the same hours of the top 8 I chose in the total vehicles major street column?

I hope my question makes sense. If not, I can clarify again. 

http://imgur.com/s2ICwPZ

http://imgur.com/OcwEPgY
I just went through something similar with JohnQ.  He felt 'Options' (as opposed to only 'Standards') can be used for Warrant 1 on a PE exam question.  It was and still is my strong opinion that, unless specifically directed in the problem statement that "Options" can be used, I feel the only correct and proper way to answer these Warrant 1 questions is by using only the Standards (not Options).  With that said, this problem does clearly state that "optional criteria" can be used.  Thus, the solution's use of the 70% column. 

Standard Condition A using 100% does not meet the VPH for the minor street.  Standard Conditions A and B using 80% also does not meet the VPH for the minor street (Cond A) or the VPH for the major street (Cond B). 

Now, because the problem statement indicates that the use of Options is valid, and the speed of the major street is > 40mph, check Option Condition A using 70%.  The VPH for the major and minor for the same 8 hours is met. 

To answer your question, yes, within the same condition (in this case Condition A), you need to use the same 8 hours for the major and minor streets.  In this case all 12 hours of the Major street have a VPH over the minimum needed 420 VPH.  Therefore, any eight hours that the minor street meets or exceeds 105 VPH, the Warrant will be satisfied. 

Does that help?

I just went through something similar with JohnQ.  He felt 'Options' (as opposed to only 'Standards') can be used for Warrant 1 on a PE exam question.  It was and still is my strong opinion that, unless specifically directed in the problem statement that "Options" can be used, I feel the only correct and proper way to answer these Warrant 1 questions is by using only the Standards (not Options).  With that said, this problem does clearly state that "optional criteria" can be used.  Thus, the solution's use of the 70% column. 

Standard Condition A using 100% does not meet the VPH for the minor street.  Standard Conditions A and B using 80% also does not meet the VPH for the minor street (Cond A) or the VPH for the major street (Cond B). 

Now, because the problem statement indicates that the use of Options is valid, and the speed of the major street is > 40mph, check Option Condition A using 70%.  The VPH for the major and minor for the same 8 hours is met. 

To answer your question, yes, within the same condition (in this case Condition A), you need to use the same 8 hours for the major and minor streets.  In this case all 12 hours of the Major street have a VPH over the minimum needed 420 VPH.  Therefore, any eight hours that the minor street meets or exceeds 105 VPH, the Warrant will be satisfied. 

Does that help?
Yes that does. Thank You for clarifying this information. I really appreciate it

I still feel the exact opposite of ptatohed.....but I would really hope the exam wouldn't be so ambiguous. Because in the end .... ALL warrants are optional. 

Here's the thing, and this is MY OPINION, if the problem statement gives you speed limit over 40 mph, or mention population that falls under 10K ..... They want you to use the 70% column.

Warrant 1 problems take some time, I don't know that you're going to see a problem specifically relating to Warrant 1 anyway.

For the record ..... I was given "full credit" for my analysis of that Warrant problem with the reply from the professor "you're the first person in 7 years to answer the problem this way."

Last edited by a moderator:
I still feel the exact opposite of ptatohed.....but I would really hope the exam wouldn't be so ambiguous. Because in the end .... ALL warrants are optional. 

Here's the thing, and this is MY OPINION, if the problem statement gives you speed limit over 40 mph, or mention population that falls under 10K ..... They want you to use the 70% column.

Warrant 1 problems take some time, I don't know that you're going to see a problem specifically relating to Warrant 1 anyway.

For the record ..... I was given "full credit" for my analysis of that Warrant problem with the reply from the professor "you're the first person in 7 years to answer the problem this way."
They may all be "optional" but when the exam asks you "According to MUTCD, is Warrant 1 satisfied....." you have no option but to answer.  :p   Hopefully an exam question would be worded such that optional criteria may be considered, just as this question is worded.

While I don't think a PE examinee has the authority to assume optional criteria in solving an exam problem, and I do think the problem should clearly spell out the permissible use of optional criteria if it is intended/allowed, you do have a good point about the speed limit and/or population being provided. 

Back