Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix

header.png

1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Contagion was OK.
It started good but went slow in the middle.

It was weird in that I'm still not sure who "the star" of the movie was.

I didn't get the whole story with Jude Law's character - seems like he could have been lifted right out of the movie.
I liked it, but maybe just because it had a bunch of U.S. Public Health Service officers in it.

But then again, I didn't like it because it never identified them as PHS officers. For all the audience knew, they were just seeing Naval officers.

At any rate, I thought it was a very technically accurate movie. Which makes all the more scary. But, as a movie, I think it was lacking just a little. It watched more like a CDC docu-drama.

I know where the Jude Law character came from - he was put in there in a nod to all the anti-vaccination hype out there that is fueled by celebrities, talk-show hosts, and other non-science sources. You know, like Jim Carey, Jennifer McCarthy, Don Imus, etc. There was an excellent NOVA within the past year that dug into this phenomenon. It's a serious threat to public health, in the most "public" of ways. And the scary thing is that there seems to be no fighting it - the internet has empowered every possible variation of paranoia and distrust of authority known to exist. So, the Jude Law character was a very real possibility, although they could have exploited it a little further for better dramatic effect.

Contagion was OK.
It started good but went slow in the middle.

It was weird in that I'm still not sure who "the star" of the movie was.

I didn't get the whole story with Jude Law's character - seems like he could have been lifted right out of the movie.
I liked it, but maybe just because it had a bunch of U.S. Public Health Service officers in it.

But then again, I didn't like it because it never identified them as PHS officers. For all the audience knew, they were just seeing Naval officers.
Was that the story with Breaking Bad / Malcom in the Middle guy? I was thinking he had about the fanciest, girliest looking, military-style uniform that I'd ever seen.

Looked like he was wearing a Class A naval uniform but with a large, shiny collar befitting a Broadway musical.

I don't know who that is, but I assume you are talking about the 'Rear Admiral' character who was a higher-up in the CDC. Yes, he was an officer with the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. The uniform is the same as the Navy wears, with only minor differences in the details of the device pins and different ribbons. No difference on the collar.

Watched Thor last night. What a stinker. Boring, and surprisingly, VERY poor production values. The animation/CGI looked really bad, and half the movie was out of focus.
THIS!!!!

Finally saw this last night.

I'll admit that the production value was not very good, however, my boys really liked it, and WOW, Chris Hemsworth without a shirt, so I guess the target audience was pleased. :)

"I need a horse."

"We don't have horses. Just dogs, cats, birds. "

"Then give me one of those large enough to ride. "

X-Men first class...

Entertaining and not bad at all.

Disclaimer: If I was a movie critique writer, would not be putting my hands into hot electrical equipment.

X-Men first class...
Entertaining and not bad at all.

Disclaimer: If I was a movie critique writer, would not be putting my hands into hot electrical equipment.
I really need to rent that again, the film melted with like less than 10 minutes left to the movie. They got it spliced back together and started it again, but I wonder how much was lost.

Got home from work yesterday and found out the wife had gotten Bridesmades on-demand so we had it for the day. What a piece of $hit. I remember all the hype when it came out that it was supposed to be the female version of The Hangover and be just as funny. It was basically just a typical chick movie with a (very) few funny parts. The two "stars" did do an admirable job of upholding the theory that absolutely nobody from Saturday Night Live can act worth a crap.

Watched Thor last night. What a stinker. Boring, and surprisingly, VERY poor production values. The animation/CGI looked really bad, and half the movie was out of focus.
THIS!!!!

Finally saw this last night.

I'll admit that the production value was not very good, however, my boys really liked it, and WOW, Chris Hemsworth without a shirt, so I guess the target audience was pleased. :)

"I need a horse."

"We don't have horses. Just dogs, cats, birds. "

"Then give me one of those large enough to ride. "
Our turn to see it last night. It was entertaining, although cheesy as hell. Time to send it back to Netflix and not worry about seeing it again.

Got home from work yesterday and found out the wife had gotten Bridesmades on-demand so we had it for the day. What a piece of $hit. I remember all the hype when it came out that it was supposed to be the female version of The Hangover and be just as funny. It was basically just a typical chick movie with a (very) few funny parts. The two "stars" did do an admirable job of upholding the theory that absolutely nobody from Saturday Night Live can act worth a crap.

RE:Acting..Well no one from SNL since 1992.. ;)

But I agree, we rented this last night, holy shit not only is it not funny, its actually a very sad movie...

RE:Acting..Well no one from SNL since 1992.. ;)

But I agree, we rented this last night, holy shit not only is it not funny, its actually a very sad movie...
Really? I may have to banish it from my Netflix queue then.

Watched Sucker Punch over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, loved the graphics, and liked how the entire story kept you intrigued as to what happens next.

Watche The Rite with Anthony Hopkins. Pretty decent, but predictable story that was let down by too many subtitles. If I wanted to read, I'd pick up a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
We watched X-Men First Class and Win Win this weekend.

X-men was good. I liked getting all of the background on the story, but never read the comic so I'm not sure that all of it agrees. Never knew that Xavier and Magneto were best friends...

Win Win was just really good.

We met friends and saw Abduction. I'd give it about a 5 out of 10.

It had its moments... more of a teen and chick flick though.

Bought Transformers 3 this afternoon. Even if the movie/story sucks, I have a feeling the audio and video will be epic in the upstairs theater.

Bought Transformers 3 this afternoon. Even if the movie/story sucks, I have a feeling the audio and video will be epic in the upstairs theater.
I'm waiting for the Blue-Ray trilogy to come out before I buy it.

Back