Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldie but a goodie.  I was up at 3am this morning whatever godawful reason and couldn't get back to sleep.  Didn't feel like committing to something new so I was browsing the Roku channel and found "The Final Countdown"...no, Europe did not do the sound track.

If you've never heard of it, a modern day aircraft carrier out of Pearl Harbor gets 'zapped' back to 1941 just before the Japanese make their unscheduled appearance.

I've been sick the past couple days, and (on an only somewhat related note) decided to watch all of the Star Wars movies in their chronological order (with the obvious exception that Solo is unavailable on the Disney+ platform, yet). Doing so reveals several story line inconsistencies I hadn't anticipated/remembered. Three that I recall off hand (spoliers follow??):
1) In A New Hope: Obi Wan says to Luke "I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid" when in the first three movies he spends considerable time with R2. And in the context he appears to be unfamiliar with R2.
2) In Empire: Luke asks Leia about her mother and she relates she has a few early memories of her. But, of course Padme dies during childbirth.

3) Continual references of Obi Wan (in ROTJ) to Yoda training him, but he spent most of his time training with Qui Gon and there is zero mention of that.

Also, until doing this I had long regarded The Return of the Jedi as a horrible movie (better only than the Phantom Menace) and lauded Empire as the greatest of the series. In the context of all the movies in this order, ROTJ is actually pretty consistent with the overall theme and level of silly introduced in the first three movies and Empire is an outlier with many slow and dragging portions of the plot as Luke goes to Degobah. Without that context Luke's excursion there was fun, intriguing, and interesting, for me, to learn about Yoda and see him in what I had originally thought was his natural environs. But of course we learn that he's just a pussy that went into hiding when things didn't go his way.

Finally, it becomes all too obvious from Rogue and following that a) the Empire is unable to correct their Death Star flaws/weaknesses b) they really have little to no other ambition than to blow up planets. Apparently, that is the ultimate power in their eyes because they devote a lot of their energy to it, once Palpatine tricks everyone into making him emperor, at least. I guess they have a point there.

^I've found it's best not to think about the Star Wars movies too much.  I love them and there is so little in life to truly love.

yeah I am willing to give them some slack making 9 movies over 5 decades....  I never saw Solo though.. But I do agree the 3 X going back to the well with the Death Star was pretty lame..

Episode 8 should be deleted from the jedi archives

We also watched all of them in order over Christmas, and I still enjoy the story line of EP 1-3, I think they just had some bad acting- Actually I think EP 1 was pretty decent looking back - EP II is hard to watch because of the terrible chemistry between Anakin / Padme actors...

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched Den of Thieves on a plane yesterday.  Typical “tough cop” and “worthy adversary” bad guy movie but not a bad movie.  The ending was interesting.  Anyone seen it? What did you think?

Have not heard of that one is it new?

The wife and daughter rented "Playing with Fire" - I admit I laughed a few times but id give it 1 star out of 5....

Not a movie but Star Wars Universe - has anyone watched the whole of Disney's Star Wars Rebels series?  My son and I have decided that Episodes I - III are actually pretty good upon re-watch, especially with all the TV shows that expanded it. We finished Rebels Season 3 last night and the final confrontation between Obi-Wan and Maul was freaking awesome.

Saw Call of the Wild last night. Definitely has some flaws, and the CG dogs take some getting used to, but overall it was an exciting and touching film, and only rated PG, which is pretty rare.

Having been a far northerner before, there were some serious flaws in the portrayal of summer night time scenes, but I can forgive that.

Watched "The Awakening of Motti Wolkenbruch / Wolkenbruchs wunderliche Reise in die Arme einer Schickse" this past week.  It was pretty funny!  I'd recommend it.  It's about an orthodox Jew who falls in love with a shiska and starts exploring things outside his faith.  Was ultra funny because I def have some Jewish friends that some of the experiences were similar with their mothers when they reached a certain age.  Didn't have a solid 'ending' to the tale, but I liked the open-ended nature since there were so many paths he could have taken at the end and tying it in a little package would have cheapened it.

Took mini-Shush to see Sonic - holy crap that movie was horrible.  Most of the jokes fell flat, the product placement was overly in your face, and the lead guy/gal might as well have been cardboard cutouts.  The "saving grace" was Jim Carrey's usually over the top performance which has gotten pretty old by now.  Of course they left it open at the end for a second movie...

I am not a cartoon movie person but I am looking forward to this onward movie - anyone else? 

Also I introduced the son and daughter to Tremors last night, cant believe they never saw that movie! (well skip the other 😎 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas".  What an f'd up movie!  Not bad, though.

I am not a cartoon movie person but I am looking forward to this onward movie - anyone else? 

Also I introduced the son and daughter to Tremors last night, cant believe they never saw that movie! (well skip the other 😎 
Wife is looking forward to it, me not so much. Mini-Shush and I are looking forward to the new Scooby movie.

Back