Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Life of the Party"...only because it had just come out and I was stuck in the house this weekend because of the crappy weather.  On a scale of 1-to-10 I would give this one a solid "tolerable".  I made it through to the end, but I guess I'm one of those people who thinks Melissa McCarthey just not that funny.

Also watched "A Quiet Place".  I was about 15 minutes into it before I figured out how to turn the subtitles on, but I almost think it was better without them.  You could get a pretty good idea of what they were saying without them and it made it more suspenseful that way.

Started watching Battleship last night. Made it about 20 minutes before I just shut it off. It was just bad.

Started watching Battleship last night. Made it about 20 minutes before I just shut it off. It was just bad.
Go back to my comment about “Rampage” when I said games/video games make horrible movies...”Battleship” was one of the tops on that list of crappy movies.

Spoiler ahead in case you decide to actually finish it:

The end was the best part, when they get the old guys and fire up the USS Missouri. 

It’s one of those movies that so bad it’s actually kind of good, but yes that couple of minutes when they fire up the old battleship is some of the best screen time around

I watched A Quiet Place on the plane the other day. I enjoyed it and definitely got surprised a few times, even when I knew what was coming. It was a very interesting movie from the perspective of sound.

Also watched Book Club, which was funny!

And I watched Molly's Game, which I thought was pretty good.

Wonder what I'll watch on planes this weekend...

I watched A Quiet Place.  Can't say I enjoyed it as much as it was hyped to me. This is primarily so because after the initial "holy shit she stepped on a nail" all that seemed to disappear. Sorry, been there done that and can't suspend my disbelief enough to see her stomping around on that foot in subsequent scenes. 

I couldn’t sleep and watched DR. strange last night I mean - holy shit was that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never heard of Dr Strange.  Had to look it up.  I'll skip that one.  Not to be confused with the classic Dr Strangelove

I wathced Dr. Strange and can't remember a damn thing about the movie other than he can create portals to other locations. And then, while being forced to watch Avengers Infinity Wars again the other night, I was reminded of how truly absurd this is because he uses this power to get rid of a bad guy, but only after major death and destruction and several really stupid uses of that power to divert things that were thrown, save other avengers, etc. Dude!  You could have just portalled the guy away for your FIRST move!  

Watched "Jurassic World 2" last night.  Apparently it's out on digital somewhere, although the Asian subtitles weren't terribly distracting.  Liked it as much as the first time I saw it when it was called "The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2".

Entertaining enough to keep my attention, but it came across very much like a reboot of the first "Jurassic Park 2".

I don't remember what I watched on the plane last Friday (probably because I watched it all with subtitles since my headphone jack wasn't working properly), but yesterday, I watched the following:

The Post - I thought this was a very good and engaging the entire time! I didn't know much about this story, and it reminded me a lot of what is happening in society today.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - Extremely good movie. I would recommend this to basically anyone. It's not a happy movie at all, and in fact is pretty depressing in a lot of ways, but the characters had very interesting development and the main character (played by Frances McDormand, who won best actress for her role in this movie) was very, hmm, engaging, even if she was pretty unlikable, while you still felt sorry for her.

The Greatest Showman - To wrap this up, I picked a lighthearted movie, which I didn't realize was going to involve so much singing. It was moderately entertaining, but nothing I would go out of my way to see (i.e. why I was watching it on an airplane).

Overall, my consensus is all airlines have basically the exact same movie and TV show offerings... Alaska Airlines just seemed to have more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally saw "Ready Player One".  I thought it was decent, 100% not what I expected from the movie posters.  Sadly, it's also a pretty believable scenario.  Once VR becomes mainstream, touch/pressure sensitive, it's going to ruin a lot of lives.

Finally saw "Ready Player One".  I thought it was decent, 100% not what I expected from the movie posters.  Sadly, it's also a pretty believable scenario.  Once VR becomes mainstream, touch/pressure sensitive, it's going to ruin a lot of lives.
The lady sitting next to me watched that yesterday, while I was watching The Post and Three Billboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
And are there any limits to this?  Uhhh...hellooo...how 'bout you just teleport Thanos into the middle of the sun.  Shortest Avengers movie ever.
The other one I heard is for Ant man to crawl into his ear and then make himself big.

I took the boy to see Alpha this weekend. I thought it was going to be pretty cheesy based on the previews, but it was actually a pretty good survival movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and so did my son.

I finally saw Infinity War and it felt like a 2.5 hour clip show. Like when a sitcom does a "very special" episode that's like all of the Christmas specials jammed into one. 

There were so many people raptured that I kept waiting for Kirk Cameron to show up. 

We went to see a movie in the "big city" this weekend and ended up skipping out on "Axl" (which looks like a turd of a movie) and seeing the restored IMAX version of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Of course, 2001 is what it is. My 15 year old son, who is into space and loved Interstellar, thinks the movie is awesome and enjoyed speculating with me at the end about "what it means".  My wife thought it was total bullshit. 

IMAX-wise, the image was great but the sound was disappointing. I wish they had re-mixed it for modern sound systems. As it was, it just sounded shrill and way too loud on the IMAX sound system.

Back