Mosul Dam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd never know it by watching the news, but there's a full scale war going on in Iraq right now, complete with coalitions, alliances, and doctrinal terms like "FLOT" and "Sieze" and "Envelope".
why would the news show that? It would go along with Barry's agenda. Stay safe brother

Last edited by a moderator:
The last two days I've seen a lot about the on-going fighting in Fallujah, so maybe the news is finally catching up.

Well, things are really quite frustrating.  I was supposed to be on a plane this past friday heading to Baghdad for a meeting, then to Kuwait for some more meetings, but the orders didn't come through in time, so I'm actually home right now.  But I do have orders in hand for a report date on Monday.  Then next Friday, I'll be heading to Iraq and Kuwait.  Then probably 2 - 3 weeks back in the states and then mid to late July I'll be at the Dam.  Roughly.

Reading back through what I expected the timeline to be a month ago just makes me laugh now.  God, this deployment has been really weird.  Anyway, I'm in Kuwait now, finally having those meetings I should have had a month ago.  Fun times.  Last time I was here was back in 2009.  Oh the memories that came flooding back once I stepped off that plane.  Ran into some of my soldiers who I deployed with the Iraq this morning.  They're here doing stuff too.  Kind of weird how we're all coming back together.  Kind of scary.  Also, kind of nice to get to stay off post this time around.  I get to really see Kuwait City.

KWC1.jpg

KWC2.jpg

KWC3.jpg

KWC4.jpg

lodging.jpg

At least there's a pool, and a Friday's.

Be safe Sap.

I guess they don't drive any Prius in Kuwait?

Do you get to wear Civi's while off duty?  Is Kuwait pretty much free from all the ISIS stuff?

I am always telling people here at home that I would take a 120deg summer in Afghanistan over a 90deg summer here any day.

Sure, when it's 120 out it's going to be hot, but it's surprising how bearable it can be even when you're walking around in ACU's...Under Armour type shirt, long pants, long sleeve jacket and a cover (hat)...because there would be almost zero humidity.

Here in Cincy when it starts getting where the temp and the humidity are both in the 90's, I can be in shorts and a t-shirt and I don't even want to go outside.  You feel like you need take a shower and change clothes just walking to the mailbox.

I am always telling people here at home that I would take a 120deg summer in Afghanistan over a 90deg summer here any day.

Sure, when it's 120 out it's going to be hot, but it's surprising how bearable it can be even when you're walking around in ACU's...Under Armour type shirt, long pants, long sleeve jacket and a cover (hat)...because there would be almost zero humidity.

Here in Cincy when it starts getting where the temp and the humidity are both in the 90's, I can be in shorts and a t-shirt and I don't even want to go outside.  You feel like you need take a shower and change clothes just walking to the mailbox.
Me too!!!  People think I am nuts when I say things like that. Humid heat is horrible.  

yes and no, here yesterday it was 102.  There are basically no trees down in the Denver area. At least on a 100 degree day in Atlanta I could go for a run mid day (on a trail through the woods) and not die.. you defin need a cover and sun screen to go out.  I tried to do 30 miles on the bike at 9 AM and on the way back I pondered popping my bike tire so I could call AAA to come pick me up! - Yes in CO AAA covers your bike..

So Kuwait City is basically WY? We have a Texas Roadhouse, no humidity, and, judging by the flags, stupid wind speeds. 

Okay, so 115 degrees fahrenheith here is hot, but the lack of humidity is absolutely a game changer.  You sweat, but you don't get wet, because the sweat evaporates so quickly, that you're basically dry while you are walking around.  BUT... the major difference is that the air actually feels hot.  I mean, not sticky like you are used to with humidity, but actually hot, like, you are walking through the jet wash all the time, especially with the wind that CSB so aptly identified.  In fact yesterday, when I took those pics, there was a mild sand storm going on, that's why you don't see any blue skies, and it wasn't rain clouds making it hazy and drab.  It was dust.

RG:  Kuwait is about as safe as you'll find over here.  I wear civies off duty, go out on the economy to eat, am living in a condo downtown in a normal residential neighborhood, and drive myself half an hour to the base in the mornings.  That said, I'd be foolish, and so would anybody else, to think there is no ISIS around here.  They're definitely around, gathering intel, no doubt.  But they aren't massed and armed and roaming the streets conducting combat patrols in technicals like they are up in Syria and Iraq.

Have you had your boots melt on any surfaces yet?  When I used to work around Bakersfield, CA, it would get up to around 115 sometimes, and on those days the soles of my work boots would melt on the steel decking of the drilling rig, like walking around on grease.

Kuwait City looks surprisingly nice! 

Does Kuwait have pretty decent security / police roaming around?  Just seems odd to be in a residential area? Do you get to carry while off duty? I hope so and watch your 6!

BUT... the major difference is that the air actually feels hot.  I mean, not sticky like you are used to with humidity, but actually hot, like, you are walking through the jet wash all the time, especially with the wind that CSB so aptly identified.
I can definitely relate to this. In some extreme fire conditions, including training scenarios, the environment gets so hot that the air in the cylinder is hot. definitely not a comfortable situation. 

Sap, overall what is the feel from the locals for Americans in Kuwait? According to the media over previous years, the Kuwaitis never had a problem with us. Is this still the case?

All Kuwaitis aged roughly 30 and older still remember when Saddam Hussein invaded and the United States rolled through and drove his forces back north in 96 hours.  I'll put it to you this way.  The Udari range (where all of our troops, gun trucks, fighter aircraft, etc launch round after round of ordinance for last minute training prior to heading to the fight) is on high dollar oil land.  They haven't asked us to move yet and they keep giving us more land to build our large rear area headquarters during our fights against ISIS.  They let guys like me drive around their roads on a Connecticut drivers license and a 45 minute class given by an Bama fan, and the police will give you a warning if you are caught speeding if you show your military ID card.  Yeah, they're cool with us.

Back