Misfires:

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understood the concept of the part SUV/Part pickup truck like the Ridgeline and especially the "luxury" versions (Cadillac or Lincoln) they just seemed foolish.
Don't forget the car/truck hybrids---Chevy El Camino and the Ford Ranchero...You too could be as cool as Randall "Pink" Floyd.

Fair enough.

I think the Ford Explorer truck was the worst offender of these...it had that dinky little bed that usually came with a bed extender just to be able to carry little stuff. It seemed like a truck for guys who couldn't bear not driving a truck, but really needed a mini-van.
BIL had one that I used to haul some furniture and I had to take multiple trips just to load a couple of pieces.

He traded it for a minivan
Awesome.

I never understood the concept of the part SUV/Part pickup truck like the Ridgeline and especially the "luxury" versions (Cadillac or Lincoln) they just seemed foolish.
Don't forget the car/truck hybrids---Chevy El Camino and the Ford Ranchero...You too could be as cool as Randall "Pink" Floyd.
The Subaru Baja was essentially an El Camino, just updated.

subaru-baja%20(1).jpg

Yep El Camino and Rachero were pretty dumb, but you could get some badass ones you could put together a mean Chevelle SS with a pickup bed.

How about the Chevy 454 SS two-wheel pickups or the Dodge Daytona pickups with the wing just above the tailgate. not the most practical things.

Once I rented an HHR for a business trip. I've since dubbed it the Homo Hot Rod :f_115m_e45d7af: *

*not that there's anything wrong with that

I thought the Crossfire was a pretty decent looking car.

The Prowler was a cool looking car too, but that V6 mated to an auto-only transmission sure brought the pansy. Gimme a big V8 with a 6-speed manual.

SSR was too heavy to be sporty like a car, and too car-like to be useful as a truck.

I think some of the new offerings from Nissan are butt-ugly. The Cube and the Juke are just hideous little boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I rented an HHR for a business trip. I've since dubbed it the Homo Hot Rod :f_115m_e45d7af: *

I had a PT Cruiser for a rental once. Not a bad little car but iot couldn't punch it's way out of a paper bag. Felt a lot like an old VW bug to me (I had a 68 bug at one time).

I had a PT Cruiser for a rental once. Not a bad little car but iot couldn't punch it's way out of a paper bag. Felt a lot like an old VW bug to me (I had a 68 bug at one time).
I got a PT Cruiser convertible as a rental in Ft. Lauderdale one time. You're absolutely right. It reminded me of the billboards when the new VW Bug came out..."0 to 60? Yes."

Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

I drove a Ridgeline and it was really nice.

It handled well, had a smooth comfortable ride, the interior was very large and spacious.

But I didn't buy one for the same reasons lots of other people didn't.

It cost as much as a F150 and it doesn't have the power or hauling capability of a full sized truck.

You are buying a light SUV with a bed.

An Avalanche is a better option if you are using it to say tow a ski/fishing boat because you can get it with a V8.

I can understand how a Crossfire gets built at least it looks the part.

But to whom did the Aztek look good? That car looks bad from any angle you pick.

Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Finally upgraded to college girls, Wooderson?

Pontiac-Aztek-Tent-1.jpg

I wanted an Aztek at one point, almost expressly for the tent option. I instead got a pickup I could sleep in the back of and realized that I was also a fan of Aztek because AJ Langer was a spokesperson. (I'm not explaining that reference)

if you've ever been inside an Astek, it seems as if it were designed from the inside out. Interior is quite comfortable and functional. Then they made the outside look like a transformer. the interior fabric stylists were also smoking peyote. The seat fabrics looked like native american blankets.

My parents rented one for a trip to Wyoming and Montana. It was purple. Dad said, "It drove really well and was a nice car. Granted, I'd never BUY something like that."

if you've ever been inside an Astek, it seems as if it were designed from the inside out. Interior is quite comfortable and functional. Then they made the outside look like a transformer. the interior fabric stylists were also smoking peyote. The seat fabrics looked like native american blankets.
It was built on the Chevy venture platform...aka the bottlenosed minivan. My sister had one and it was a gigantic peice o'poo. Stuff was always breaking and when you drove it, you got the distinct feeling that the front and back ends weren't solidly connected.

My sister had one and it was a gigantic peice o'poo. Stuff was always breaking and when you drove it, you got the distinct feeling that the front and back ends weren't solidly connected.
I wonder if that was tied to the vehicle model/design or just poor quality control by GM (imagaine that??). Of course, my expereince with the Aztek is having one for a couple of days as a rental and I did not travel very far with it.

My sister had one and it was a gigantic peice o'poo. Stuff was always breaking and when you drove it, you got the distinct feeling that the front and back ends weren't solidly connected.
I wonder if that was tied to the vehicle model/design or just poor quality control by GM (imagaine that??).
I think it was a tragic combination of both, really.

Back