Metcalf & Eddy for WR/ENV PE PM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneArm

Reaction score
I hear that this is the ticket for the afternoon WR/ENV portion. Why is it so important? People just say it is, but do not give any reasons. Any insight would help.

It's the "Bible" of wastewater engineering. What else is there to know? It's got just about everything you need to know in it for wastewater. But it won't do you any good if you don't thoroughly familiarize yourself with it. It's pretty in-depth.

Believe me, it was good for a few answers on my exam (the dedicated, 100-question enviro exam, but the WR parts are the same as civil), and has more than paid for itself at work, too.

I hear that this is the ticket for the afternoon WR/ENV portion. Why is it so important? People just say it is, but do not give any reasons. Any insight would help.
It is interesting, I am not sure if Metcalf & Eddy will hold the same 'power' over a combined Env/WR depth module as opposed to just the Env depth module.

When I took the Env depth module (and failed) there was typically 9 problem associated with wastewater treatment. If you think about it - 9 problems out of 40 is nearly 25% of the entire afternoon section of the exam for Env. As Dleg stated, Metcalf & Eddy is THE refrence when it comes to working wastewater treatment problems, especially advanced concepts like waste activated sludge and bioreactor types of problems.

While I agree the Metcalf & Eddy text is 'top shelf', it won't do you much good unless you are quite familiar with it. I used that text in college extensively for my undergraduate coursework, but haven't done much in the way of wastewater treatment in over 10 yrs. When I tried to use that text on the exam without refreshing my memory, it was as if I had never used it in the first place.

Lesson - the text is good but only if you use it as part of your focused preparation.

Hope this information clarifies a few things (no pun intended).

JR

Thanks for the input. I have the text o\and look through it on occasion, but it doesn't seem to come into play too much when I'm doing problems from the Six Minute problems, from the CERM or from the blue problem book that goes with the CERM. I feel like I am missing something because I'm not using it as much as other things in my studies. Any input?

I took the test 3 times Civil WR and found many of the gimmie look up problems in teh Metcalf & Eddy book. There's really no good way to study for those kind of problems but I knew if I was looking at any kind of water/wastewater related question and I couldn't find anything in the CERM the Metcalf & Eddy reference was the first one I would go to.

Thanks for the input. I have the text o\and look through it on occasion, but it doesn't seem to come into play too much when I'm doing problems from the Six Minute problems, from the CERM or from the blue problem book that goes with the CERM. I feel like I am missing something because I'm not using it as much as other things in my studies. Any input?
Would "the other board" have a problem in their sample book that you can't solve with the CERM or one of their other products?

Last edited by a moderator:
The first (more expensive book) is obviously the cadillac of wastewater treatment books. While I am generally familiar with the McGraw-Hill publications - I was not introduced to the Metcalf & Eddy publication, so I can't offer an opinion other than it looks like Metcalf & Eddy compiled/edited the text. On the other hand, the McGraw-Hill publication on Solid Waste Collection and Disposal is considered a classic (I have that one).

FWIW - I used this text for the exam, I think it is quite suitable --> Metcalf & Eddy. It is out of print, so you will have to search places like eBay and other book dealers to see if you can find it. Or, perhaps there is someone out there willing to part with thier text for a nominal price if you solicit.

Good luck!

JR

^You want the first one you linked to - the 4th edition of Metcalf & Eddy. That's the latest, as far as I know. You could probably get by with a used copy of the 3rd edition, but I don't know. The 4th edition is the latest, and if you're ever going to work with wastewater, you'll want the newer edition. I don't have the 3rd edition, but I do have a 2nd edition as well as my 4th edition, and the 4th edition has quite a bit more material in it.

can't speak for the McGraw Hill textbook. It might be just fine, as long as you know it well. But, it just doesn't have the street cred that M&E has.

If you have any type of access to a university library, they usually have a great selection of reference material. I have used several books from the university library here that got me a few low hanging fruit questions on past exams.

Good Luck!

ktulu

The library has the 2nd edition. I hope I can get away with that one....
I wouldn't worry about having the latest edition for the exam. They likely won't be asking you questions about the latest technology. Any edition will get you through the fundamentals. If you're purchasing one on the other hand, I might look for a newer edition.

I wouldn't worry about having the latest edition for the exam. They likely won't be asking you questions about the latest technology. Any edition will get you through the fundamentals. If you're purchasing one on the other hand, I might look for a newer edition.
Turns out my work has a copy of the lastest revision... who would have thought an oil and gas EPC firm would care about the environment?

Unfortunately, they don't have any good hydraulics/hydrology texts....

As promised (especially for you Undertaker), I have began scanning in class notes for the PE.
The water resources section is complete and available for use.

Shoot me a PM with an e-mail address and I will e-mail it to you. I broke it down into two files and they are PDFs.

Just let me know if you want it, because I think the files are a little too big to post here.

I will also be putting review questions up for each section as well.

Would you please send me the copies of PDFs please. my email: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Metcalf & Eddy. The international editions are less expensive and the content matches the US editions page by page. The paper they are printed on is a lot thinner and the photographs don't look as nice, though.

For example:

Metcalf & Eddy

Back