Mechanical PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed, ME-MD first try. My studying consisted of reading the MERM cover to cover (except for the math section) and tabbing a few things, then reading it again (skipping a few more sections this time) and working a couple problems, then starting the practice exam and saying "this is stupid, no friggin' way the real exam is this hard" and going skiing.

I had that book with me almost non-stop from January until the test, except (usually) when I'd go skiing, or really any weekends.

Glad to say I passed. Congrats to Firefly and Mechgirl; still routing for Shanks and anyone else who's waiting on results!

I passed also. MD depth.

I got the email to recieve our results online, waited a while hoping NCEES still showed what areas we need improvement in. After all, I was already studying for October. Logged in and had the pdf sent. It showed up and fully expecting a "fail" I opened it and saw "passed". I said "that can't be right" and closed it, logged out, then logged back in and had them resend. Opened the second pdf and there it was again.. "passed". Hmmm. So I started reading down through it and when I saw "you must remit to the Ohio Board a $50 registraion fee" I new it had to be true! They wanted more money! I did indeed pass!! I went home and got drunk immediatley. Not really. I wanted to, but I didn't.

Thanks everyone for the great posts, especially Bman, gaidox, and BrainC. I did a lot of lurking and not much posting but I was on here everyday with you all. This was a great resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats man! Don't underestimate what you did..you deserve it.

Yet its nice to be pessimistic about the result then pass afterwards.

nice story too.

Well, as planned I started studying for Oct 2010 exam a few weeks ago. But now stopping beacuse I PASSED!! didn;t think I'd ever get my results up here in MA...

ME MD depth

1st attempt

I do understand that most engineers that study so hard and couldn't pass. That is why I also said study in different methods than last time.
I took the T&F in both time that I took PE exam.

First try - I start study from April 2009 until the day before the exam of Oct, 2009. I study whole MERM and sample problems in the other book, Lienberg sample for T&F, old MERM edition for the T&F, 2 Old NCEEs samples (they are not in multple choice), 6 mins soluation for T&F, and NCEES 2001 sample. My total study time is more than 700 hours. On the regular day that I study during workdays in the afternoon and the last two month I also study on the weekends. However, I still fail the exam (not even closed)....I end up only score 15/40 in the morning (got only 12% for MD) and 20/40 in the afternoon... I don't know why my morning is that bad? I guess it is because I travel from NY to CA for the exam and the time difference cause my performance or I ran to the exam site in 20 minutes and carry my books also (I am so tired and sweat my t-shirt just there few minutes before the exam start). But after few days of thinking that I am not 100% sure about the questions because I am not too familar with them. During my study that if I am getting the answer by guessing correct that I just don't pay a lot of attention to time. Because the study time period is to long (7 months) I kind forget the beginning sections. I rely too much on the the MERM for the answer and sometimes I couldn't get it afterward. From that time that I set up my study plan and study "smart" for my second try.

Second try - (I got my fail result by 1/25/2010 for the 1st try) so I give myself few days of refresh time and start study by 2/1/2010 for the sencond try. I know the time is less this time so I study day and night on everyday (even the weekend) until the exam day. I study the problems only on the MERM and skip the math, and end sections but I do study the electricty and economic. I highly recommand study before you sleep because when I sleep that I imaging my mind has a blackboard and I wrote down every important formulas and things to remeber on that imaging blackboard. (It helps me a lot because the next week or so I can still remeber the formula by heart)...I print all the important table on several sheet and write important formula regard to those tables there (I did for all three disciplines). I fully understand what I know on those sheet that I wrote. (because I was thinkng it is not point that you bring something that you don't familiar with). Most people will think that if I wrote down all formula in the sheet why don't I just rely on the MERM? My answer is no, because a lot of MERM formula looks very different but they actually the same..because of the converstion, different inputs or asking differently...it is a hard work to clear that and put all important foumula on the sheet...The power cycle that I study a lot with the graphs, effiecny (all different with motor,pumps,turbines,mechanical, and etc...some of them used in different position when you apply them and they are not always in one side when you do the calculation). The thermal and fluid is ok because I am study that everyday because my work....I also print out all those table with G,E,thermal expansion,poisson's ratio, yield strengths, etc on the same paper with important formula that will relate to each other. Also you need to know the important stuff that cause them can use relate to each other.(MERM won't tell you)...plus I book my flight and hotel a day before the exam so I don't need to be very rush to get to the exam site. I choose a different exam site because the one I had in Oct, 2009 is not very convience for me.

People are saying why you have to spent so many time on all 3 disciplines? I said it is because I did so bad on the first try on MD and HVAC. Also some of the sections that relate to each other. I study all 3 disciplines when I prepared my exam. I used MERM, MERM problems set, 2001 NCEES (3 disciplines), 2008 NCEES (3 disciplines), 6 mins solution (3 disciplines), Linderbrg samples (3 disciplines), "Kaplan samples (3 disciplines)--give me a lot of idea of study!!!becaue they have 1 problems all appear on the 3 afternoon disciplines and asking different stuff" and 101 ME problems. I didn't study the old samples because that is different than the real exam. Every question that I used heart and remeber everything with it and study beyond this problem that related to others.

I will have my exam result by Mid July, 2010 and by that time I will know my study method is right or need more improvment. I have a lot of small methods that I haven't list out yet because it might take another couple paragraphs.

It is hard to finish reading every sentance that I wrote but it is really my experience for this time or my last time.
I didn't pass the test but I am better than the first try.

My first try - 14/40 AM; 18/40 PM

2nd try - 31/40 AM; 13/40 PM

I am going to try harder for my 3rd try. ( I score higher in the AM because I only knew the easy problem so I have to study in depth and still study the same to keep my AM)

I didn't pass the test but I am better than the first try.My first try - 14/40 AM; 18/40 PM

2nd try - 31/40 AM; 13/40 PM

I am going to try harder for my 3rd try. ( I score higher in the AM because I only knew the easy problem so I have to study in depth and still study the same to keep my AM)

Sorry dude. You'll get em next time.

sorry to hear that chaocl...try to ace it next time. i know you can do it.

we will be here for you if you need some support.

Thanks, I will continue study!

Latest posts

Back