Mechanical Failing Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just generally speaking, passing scores are at the 70% or above range for any kind of licensing, not just PE's.  So if you really think you only did in the 57% range, I don't think you can expect to have passed.  Not trying to be a jerk, just that's reality. 

Thanks Life, you've answered my question. The number did not change in April.

I understand and appreciate how those on this board do not want us to have a false sense of hope in regards to passing or failing - I humbly do appreciate that.  

I only felt good on only about 50-ish of the questions.  The theory of @TxMechEng and @LifeSucks does at least give me some hope that, if I correctly executed those 50, maybe I did enough to make the cut if there is a 5-9 point swing.  It does make some sense, being that TX is probably the only state to post scores.  From my diagnostic I got 43/80 53%, so maybe I was only about 5 correct problems away from being pleasantly surprised this past May.  Why post a percentage higher than what it really is? I did read somewhere on EB that each state board can accept the cut score or not - one is only suggested by NCEES so maybe there's the answer to my question.  

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't matter since I failed in April, and I very well could have failed this test cycle as well.   But thinking that I was close to passing verses being 13-15 points off the mark does give me motivation to try for a third time...... and it's a good line to tell my wife in order to get another 6 months of being detached from the family.   :wacko:   Wish I would have left the test feeling like a boss, but oh well.  

I prepped my butt off for this test....and I think it's very difficult to leave this test feeling like a boss. I would say 85% of the people taking the test are praying that they pass.

It's different than your exams previously taken in college. Those college exams you scored 80 to 90 on. For the PE, you're scoring approximately in the 70 +-3 range. On top of that....it's not scored on getting 70% of the questions right but rather their own scale.

I'm with you @TxMechEng!  Since June, I prepped for about 2 hrs during my lunch break, and another hour at home after the kids went to bed.  Took a vacation this summer with the family and studied every evening at the pool while the kids swam.  People including my wife were looking at me like I was crazy but I didn't care - I really want those initials after my name.  Hate to say it, but I'm spending a small fortunate of my own money for those prestigious two letters.  

I'm with you @TxMechEng!  Since June, I prepped for about 2 hrs during my lunch break, and another hour at home after the kids went to bed.  Took a vacation this summer with the family and studied every evening at the pool while the kids swam.  People including my wife were looking at me like I was crazy but I didn't care - I really want those initials after my name.  Hate to say it, but I'm spending a small fortunate of my own money for those prestigious two letters.  
I really hear you man, what you said brought tears to my eyes, not because I am so emotional but because I really studied hard for that exam, every single night after my daughter went to bed until 11 or 12 at night then I had to get up 6:30 AM to go to work and so on until October 28 at 5:30 when I stopped studying to get ready to go to the exam site, and I really don't know if I will fail , does that mean I am a stupid ?, but anyway if I will fail I will register again and will go be to study until I will get those two letter after my name (struggle is real)

Best of luck to everyone awaiting results! Let's keep positive and have fun in the spam thread to pass the time! I'm one of the only newbies over there. Join me!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How is this so difficult to understand. First exam 67%   43 right

Second Exam 69% 44 right

Again, this is assuming each question is weighed the same.
Missed by 1?! Aw man.

Just think, if you were a wounded veteran and took the exam in Georgia, you would now be a Professional Engineer. (They get a boost!)

Missed by 1?! Aw man.

Just think, if you were a wounded veteran and took the exam in Georgia, you would now be a Professional Engineer. (They get a boost!)
Really? I need to enlist then.....thanks for the late heads up!

SK82 and I.ELKADY....with that much prep time, I think we passed.....I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the both of you!

Back