MBA's & Engineers--Why does Engineering take a Backseat to Marketing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoltsNWater

Reaction score
Title states my rant. We all need to make money, we all need to sell our product, but which should come first "Engineering" or "Marketing?" Further, why do we do we develop products that market well, instead of products that meet or exceed their intended purpose?

Neither should take a backseat to the other; each needs the other and are both important.

The answer to your second question is money.

Neither should take a backseat to the other; each needs the other and are both important.
The answer to your second question is money.
Of course, that's the right short, concise technical answer, but is it right? Certainly well built products that meet the need make money. Examples abound, but take the good old incandescent light bulb as an example. Did you ever look at the thing? Of course, you try not to, because the filament burns an image in your eye. Ah, you say, "that's why we have frosted bulbs, because the market demanded it" and you'd be right. But, go into a big box and look for bulbs. It's taken an incredible amount of effort, largely on our part, to get the American Public to buy CFL's and we can't even imagine the daunting task of selling $$$ LED's to consumers. Why? Because we set the market in place with an "Engineered" product and consumers are so accustomed to buying the old style of bulb, they can't imagine buying the latest "market-push" bulbs. TAE was not a great salesman, otherwise I wouldn't devote a lot of my time teaching people why DC can solve their electrical distribution problems. Yet, we can't stop using the best engineered product of his time, largely exactly the same product he engineered over 100 years.

I guess the bottom line is that you could be the best engineer in the world and have the most brilliant product ever imagined but it wouldn't amount to jack s**t if you couldn't manage a company to the point that you could a) produce enough of it, B) let the market know its available and superior, and c) not run your comany into ruin in the process. Face it, as engineers we learn very little about "management", at least in terms of business.

You can't make money on a product or service that no one knows about.

But, go into a big box and look for bulbs. It's taken an incredible amount of effort, largely on our part, to get the American Public to buy CFL's and we can't even imagine the daunting task of selling $$$ LED's to consumers.
Bad example, really. CFLs pretty much suck in my experince except in the area of longevity. I end up having to cut on an additional incandescent to read, most of the time. I can't say I've seen any improvement in energy savings, either.

LEDs seem to be doing OK for Christmas lights in terms of sales. They were predominantly what I saw on the shelves.. There are a good many people dissatisfied with CFLs who are waiting to try reasonable priced LEDs.

Disposal of CFLs is also more complicated. Plus they don't work well on dimmer switchs.

Disposal of CFLs is also more complicated. Plus they don't work well on dimmer switchs.
The outrage over mercury in CFLs cracks me up. Every single fluorescent tube ever used in the world has either the same amount or more mercury in it than a CFL. I'd argue that more fluorescent tubs have been sold than incandescent bulbs since they are used in commercial and industrial applications.

But, go into a big box and look for bulbs. It's taken an incredible amount of effort, largely on our part, to get the American Public to buy CFL's and we can't even imagine the daunting task of selling $$$ LED's to consumers.
Bad example, really. CFLs pretty much suck in my experince except in the area of longevity. I end up having to cut on an additional incandescent to read, most of the time. I can't say I've seen any improvement in energy savings, either.
ditto and they SMELL really bad when they go bad.

Ok my disposal arguement has been thrashed.

They still don't work well on a dimmer switch.

I HATE CFL's! There is NO cost savings and my experience is they don't last any longer. We are replacing all the CFL's with good ole incandescents when they go out, or when we need light.

I have yet to replace a single CFL I've installed over 5 years ago. I'll probably replace them with LEDs if they are comparable in price.

Whats the power consumption on an LED light with equivalent lumen output? The CFLs I have installed use about 13 watts for a 60 watt incadescent equivalent.

Well, I got replacements for 100W bulbs that claim 25W, but I think they'd be hard pressed to put out the same light a 60W does.

I have two lights in the basement that run all the time. I'd say they last a couple of years, maybe 3, but I don't really keep track.

You also can't make any $$$ on the best product in the world if no one really needs it. A lot of engineers, and even companies get involved in the design and building of something without doing the research if it is really needed to begin with. Marketing can't market something that isn't needed, and usually take customer needs (sometimes mis-communicated) to the engineers.

The best is a company like IDEO where the engineers actually go out and "need find" before they start designing. Then marketing takes the preliminary designs out to find "marketing companies" to sell the ideas to before further development happens.

My only addition to this thread is to point you to Akin's Law, No. 20

"A bad design with a good presentation is doomed eventually. A good design with a bad presentation is doomed immediately."

JR

Back