Mark's Standard Handbook

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start studying for the October PE (HVAC) exam and looking at stocking up my reference books. A lot of people seem to recommend having Mark's Standard Handbook as a reference and I'm just wondering if it matters what edition you use? Looking on Amazon, you can get an older edition handbook for between $15-$35, but a new one will cost between $135-$200. I don't mind spending the money if its worth it, but don't want to if I don't need to. I appreciate any help that you all can give.

I'm getting ready to start studying for the October PE (HVAC) exam and looking at stocking up my reference books. A lot of people seem to recommend having Mark's Standard Handbook as a reference and I'm just wondering if it matters what edition you use? Looking on Amazon, you can get an older edition handbook for between $15-$35, but a new one will cost between $135-$200. I don't mind spending the money if its worth it, but don't want to if I don't need to. I appreciate any help that you all can give.
Short answer: My gut feeling is that as long as it's a version within the last 20-25 years, you're good to go.

Long answer: I just passed the HVAC exam in April. I did bring my Mark's Handbook - the one I bought back in college in the mid-late 90's. It's reddish-maroon, not sure what edition it is because it's up at work. I did use it on a couple of "off the wall" type questions (coming from an HVAC background, at least) during the test so I say definitely take it with you. Regarding which version, my basic philosophy was that in 6 months, I could pretty much sell all these books for the same price I'm buying them today. So, I'm really just renting them with a ginormous deposit. I had the latest versions of the MERM, MERM practice problems, MERM sample exam, NCEES 2008 sample exam, and the latest edition of all 4 ASHRAE books (borrowed from vendors). The rest of the references, I just took whatever version I had on my shelf: Shigley's, Mark's, Cameron's, Incropera & DeWitt, etc.

My basic philosophy was that I didn't want my references (or lack thereof) to be the reason I failed. If I had a complete set of the latest references, there's only one reason to fail at that point: me. Luckily, I passed. I have to say that having the latest ASHRAE books was a big confidence booster just to have them. My materials are now for sale on Amazon.com, so maybe you'd actually be buying some of those books from me! Good luck!

-Agg97

I would get a copy, not so much for studying, but for general ME reference and off the wall problems that you didn't study but need a quick look up. It's one of the most comprehensive ME reference books there is.

Most important for exam questions, it has a very good index, which is critical for a reference book used during a timed exam.

Also, the official NCEES practice exam solutions actually referenced Marks a couple times (at least the machine design section does).

Thanks for the info Agg97. There were quite a few used Mark's on Amazon so I'll have to look and get a somewhat newer version, but it doesn't sound like I need to drop the money for a brand new one. I need a few other books, but have all of the ASHRAE books (actually a set and a half), so I'm pretty much set. Just need to get some practice exams and start cranking on some problems pretty soon.

Thanks for the info Agg97. There were quite a few used Mark's on Amazon so I'll have to look and get a somewhat newer version, but it doesn't sound like I need to drop the money for a brand new one. I need a few other books, but have all of the ASHRAE books (actually a set and a half), so I'm pretty much set. Just need to get some practice exams and start cranking on some problems pretty soon.
Took the Thermal/Fluids Spring 2009, passed I found no need for Marks but had it along.

I don't know if you would have needed it for HVAC. At ~$35 seems like cheap insurance.

Back