Malls are dying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Shopping malls are slowly turning into ghost towns, and that's taking a toll on the stores and restaurants inside of them.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the mall food court. Several fast-food chains that were once a primary source of sustenance for bored teens are crumbling, unable to stay in business as shoppers spend their money elsewhere.

The latest victim is Sbarro, the pizza and pasta chain that was a staple at mall food courts. The company could file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as early as next week, The Wall Street Journal reported late Wednesday, citing sources familiar with the matter.
In mid-February, the company announced it would be closing 155 of its 400 North American stores, most of which are located in malls and airports. The company is buckling under $140 million in debt.

Real estate analytics company Green Street Advisors says that some 15 percent of U.S. malls will fail or convert to non-retail space over the next decade, Business Insider reports. Another retail expert, Howard Davidowitz, thinks up to half of U.S. malls will fail within 15 to 20 years.

One of the biggest reasons for the closures and slowed traffic is the disappearance of anchor department stores such as Sears and J.C. Penney. Those stores have been in tumult since the recession, and haven't returned to health the way some upscale retailers have. Historically, they drove traffic to the malls. Some malls are now looking at large gyms and fitness centers to replace department stores as mall anchors, The Washington Post reports.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/plunging-mall-traffic-is-killing-some-restaurants-and-stores/

Good riddance. I can't even stomach going into malls anymore, between the tweens occupying every square inch of walkway, and smells emanating from the store fronts that smell like an axe body spray factory caught fire.

This goes double for Sbarro, who has the worst pasta I've ever eaten. I'm talking miles worse than the crap that used to be served in elementary school cafeterias when I was growing up.

unless it is tourist destination or outlet mall then yes they are going to disappear in this age of online shopping.

This goes double for Sbarro, who has the worst pasta I've ever eaten. I'm talking miles worse than the crap that used to be served in elementary school cafeterias when I was growing up.
I think that may have more to do with their financial troubles than mall traffic.

The only use I have for a mall is that it's a handy place to go for a walk when it's too damn cold to do it outside.

I go there for the walking behind women in yoga pants.
^ this. and a plus is that when you bring your kid there and walk them around in a stroller, you get extra looks from the hotties.

wingman-baby-guys-with-kids-ecards-someecards.png

I went to a mall last night to get makeup from Sephora. It is kind of a pain the times I've spent 20 minutes parking and walking into the middle of the mall, only to find they're out of the one item I was looking for.

I notice Forever 21s are shifting away from indoor malls, even though they've recently become flagships. There's a standalone megastore right next to the Walmart in my town.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the mall. We have few outdoor shopping centers here and I will drive out of my way to go to a store in one of those rather than go to the mall...

It's kind of weird though, because one of my first jobs was retail clothing sales in the mall...

Thugs have taken over the malls, locally.

Combine that with online shopping, and why would you go?

Thugs have taken over the malls, locally.

Combine that with online shopping, and why would you go?
some malls are like that here. However, some are still mostly clean which makes me still willing to bring the kids and "window shop".

yoga-pants-8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Sbarro just closed. I go for the Chick-Fil-A and the candy store, which I just found out was closing. We'll also pop in for Shoe Carnival and Gymboree/Crazy 8s. We have both a Sears and a JCPenny. I noticed that more of the new business moving into the mall are getting outside access added in during the remodel. I think it's the mall's attempt to make it more like a chain mall.

Also, our mall instituted a curfew to cut back on the number of tweens causing nastiness. It's worked well.

occasionally, i have to take one of my kids or the other to try on shoes and clothes...

I went to a mall last night to get makeup from Sephora. It is kind of a pain the times I've spent 20 minutes parking and walking into the middle of the mall, only to find they're out of the one item I was looking for.
The last time LadyFox was at a mall, she bought a really expensive pair of shoes.

The outdoor mall/town center theme seems to be taking on more form around here rather than the classic big indoor types. I like those a bit more because it's very village-like and the atmosphere is generally more pleasing. Though 75% of what we purchase is still online.

I definitely will make the effort to go to the mall for shoes and clothes. And even makeup, since it's too pricey to buy the wrong shade online.

not fan of the switch to outdoor malls, but that seems to be the trend. Although it seems like the only time I am at the mall is during xmas season to see Santa with minisnick. most everything else is in strip malls or online

The last time LadyFox was at a mall, she bought a really expensive pair of shoes.

The outdoor mall/town center theme seems to be taking on more form around here rather than the classic big indoor types. I like those a bit more because it's very village-like and the atmosphere is generally more pleasing. Though 75% of what we purchase is still online.

Yeah, the new urbanism isn't doing to well around here. Too cold in the winter and too hot and humid in the summer to walk around. The one they started locally is putting a lot of land up for sale.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/12/05/3141757/100-acres-at-village-at-sandhill.html

Additionally, the condo units were a no go, and they had to convert them to apartments. The developer also declared bankruptcy recently.

I kinda see strip malls as the future of brick and mortar retail.

Latest posts

Back