looking for a new car

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet they teach that class on the liberal arts side of campus.
Chrysler UltraDrive is world renowned as a pile o'poo. It's a shame the guys that designed the 727 and the A-833 could foist UltraDrive on the world.

I think you're the first person in the world I've ever heard tout the capabilities of the TorqueFlite trans. Then again, I come from a racing background where they're almost as worthless as I am.

To what extent is that your problem?Since maybe 1/1,000,000,000 of your taxes goes to her unemployment (which she paid into when she worked, by the way) you have some sort of stake in teling her how to live?
I'm not telling her how to do anything. They were wondering what her sources of funding are. That being said, while I am not telling her what decision to make, I am of the opinion that unemployment is really there to help keep you on your feet while you are looking for something. Keeping the bills paid and roof over your head. You do not have to take it. Should it be for just putting into a savings account or buying nice things that you always wanted? I was always taught that was the reason to always have a job or be working darned hard to find one... so you can have those things.

I agree that she worked and paid into unemployment and I am sure she hoped she would never have to take advantage of such an opportunity as to use it. I don't have any problem paying into it in hopes that if I ever NEED it, it is there. But you can rest assured that while I am taking it, I will not be buying 35k vehicles (although that is something I wouldn't do while employed). I have seen a few folks lately which make me think that the system is being taken advantage of. If you do not need it, then let it be there for someone who does. Maybe that is just the guilt that my parents raised me with. And I lean pretty liberally.

But you can rest assured that while I am taking it, I will not be buying 35k vehicles (although that is something I wouldn't do while employed).
Good for you. And she can do what she wants. I still say it's none of your business. It's fine to give an opinion, your statement implies that it is somehow up to others to tell her how to spend money from a program she contributed to. To me that's pretty arrogant, if not fascistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're the first person in the world I've ever heard tout the capabilities of the TorqueFlite trans. Then again, I come from a racing background where they're almost as worthless as I am.
Lots of people use the 727...usually if you can't find a decent powerglide.

too funny, the cash for clunkers has most likely already reached its alotted $...through the weekend at the very most is all it wil be alround, unless lawmakers approve more $.

oh good lord!

1. i believe i mentioned this before but ill say it again. me and my husband live comfortably off of HIS income. with our current car payments, mortgage, etc.

2. we also have enough in the bank to pay off both our cars, and a new $35k car if we choose, PLUS half our mortgage if we choose. we choose not to.

3. its actually none of anyones business and as mentioned before, i didnt ask your opinion on how much of a car i could afford. someone asked what price range and i replied. i did not offer that information up in the front, but brought into the conversation the rough class that we were looking at.

4. considering how much money we have in the bank and how much we save each month considering i have no job, i really dont see how anyone else presumes to tell me to spend or save my money, as i think we're doing a pretty good job on our own. if youre doing better congratulations. if youre doing worse, then youre probably spending too much. we're obviously not, thanks for your opinion anyway.

im not coming back to this thread, and im very sorry i started it.

I think you're the first person in the world I've ever heard tout the capabilities of the TorqueFlite trans.
I have a couple of decades on ya. The 727 was quite a tranny back in the day.

too funny, the cash for clunkers has most likely already reached its alotted $...through the weekend at the very most is all it wil be alround, unless lawmakers approve more $.
You know, I have to eat crow on the clunkers program. I thought it was bs and not many people would participate. Looks like there are a lot of people who drive their cars to the wheels fall off who are trading their old jalopies in for new cars that get better mileage. So, I’d have to say it was a success.

you should know by now we can't stay on topic. :p
Yeah, I know....

14bnlth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
whoa! I wandered in here wondering what on earth you guys were talking about...and then I saw that awesome asshat picture.

In an effort to get this thread back on track...I really like the new Mini Cooper S, and will probably start looking for one when I get my current car paid off. Does anybody here own one, or have you driven/ridden in one? Are they as much fun as people seem to think, or are they over-hyped? Can I fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk? Are they worth the $18k that they cost (new or used...the demand is so high, they are hardly depreciating at this point).

In an effort to get this thread back on track...I really like the new Mini Cooper S, and will probably start looking for one when I get my current car paid off. Does anybody here own one, or have you driven/ridden in one? Are they as much fun as people seem to think, or are they over-hyped? Can I fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk? Are they worth the $18k that they cost (new or used...the demand is so high, they are hardly depreciating at this point).

What, you have debt and you're already looking at another car. How dare you.

I actually really like the Mini Cooper and would seriously consider one if I didn't have two kids that need to ride in my car every now and again.

Back