List of Chrysler dealerships closing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To stay competitive with other shops, they'll have to lower the labor rate which means the mechanics will have to most likely take a pay cut since they can't get that dealer premium anymore. The longer people hold onto cars the more likely they will need more repairs so in the long run it could still be a good thing.

From a story about GM closing 1100 dealerships...

NADA and various dealership organizations at GM and Chrysler are fighting the cuts, lobbying Congress and hiring bankruptcy attorneys to argue their case. The dealers hope that strong state franchise laws may still protect them, despite the powers granted to the bankruptcy court and the demand for cuts by the Treasury Department.
This is exactly the type of thinking that got the Big 3 in trouble in the first place. Every time they tried to "cut the fat" in either labor or dealership networks, they were met with lawsuits or walkouts. The only other option was to grow bigger and bigger. And now they have grown too large, and the cuts that they should have been making all along are being forced.

Seems like an apt analog to the current state of the US Government.

Yeah, I'll post it when it hits, but if anyone cares to look on their own, it'll probably be on GMInsidenews first.
The article I read this morning said GM was not going to put out a list like chrysler. They wre going to leave it up to the individual dealerships to announce they were selected.

Seemed to me like it was going to be slower.... I guess GM is allowing the dealerships to stay open until sometime in 2010, while the Dodge list seemed more imminent.....

The Soviets tried for years to make it work to no avail...
But Soviet Russia is was not Europe. Europeans do everything better. Except cars then the Japanese do it better, well maybe the same as Europeans, but Americans suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
so when will they pay back the tax payers for all the bailout money?
I have the same question. and... There was one that didn't take the bailout, which one was that? I haven't seen the news in such a long time.

I have the same question. and... There was one that didn't take the bailout, which one was that? I haven't seen the news in such a long time.
Ford hasn't taken any of the bailout to-date. They seem to be doing something better than the other two. I've read that the Fusion hybrid is helping them.

so when will they pay back the tax payers for all the bailout money?
Probably when the government says it's OK. Some of the banks have asked to pay back some of the taxpayer dollars they were "loaned" but the gov't won't accept it yet, not until they are in a more stable financial position. I'm afraid that it's more about the gov't maintaining control of the banking system...

Ford hasn't need help because of 2 main things,

1) They took a heavy cash position in 2008 which meant they didn't need to borrow as much.

2) Historically they have had better labor relations and have avoided signing horrible and I mean epically horrible labor contracts like Chrysler and GM.

3) Ford's new cars don't suck, nor do they get rebadged and sold under 50 different names.

Hm. Only six in our whole state are closing.

That's probably half of them though!

One interesting thing - there are two brothers here, one has a Chrysler dealership and the other a Dodge dealership. Only one of them is on the list (that actually makes a little sense).

I heard the Trabant will be produced once again. Makes sense, since it is a superior European design.

Hello Government Motors! US Treasury soon to own 72.5% of GM!
http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE54R3OK20090528
I'm impressed this thread hasn't been moved yet.

I had the thought the other day that saving these dealerships to save jobs in akin to the CCC and all those programs in the Depression...only with no creation costs. However, the stuff those guys built lasted...a pontiac won't.

Back