List ALL Your References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why all the Civil and Mechanical folks use their CERM or MERM but our power by the same publisher is a piece of shit?

+1. Wish I didn't buy the EPRM new. I suppose I used it a couple times for the exam, but overall it's an overpriced piece of junk.
ya i know right...it's a piece of shit..but luckily i bought it used here for $150 and sold it back to Amazon for $147 credit

why all the Civil and Mechanical folks use their CERM or MERM but our power by the same publisher is a piece of shit?

+1. Wish I didn't buy the EPRM new. I suppose I used it a couple times for the exam, but overall it's an overpriced piece of junk.
ya i know right...it's a piece of shit..but luckily i bought it used here for $150 and sold it back to Amazon for $147 credit
I'm waiting on untabbing all my references and selling my books back until I KNOW I passed. They'll be gathering dust until then. It'll be nice to get some cash back from them. If I pass my company will reimburse me the 250$ and 90$ fee I think it was for registering for the class as well.

I burned my college economics book after I passes just for fun!

For Mechanical Systems and Materials I brought:

MERM (Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual)

MERM Practice Problems

Shigley's Machine Design

Lindburgh's Practice Exam

NCEES Practice Exam

Mark's Handbook

Machinery Handbook

My College Thermo Textbook (because I didn't like the thermo section in the MERM)

I highlighted the books that I actually used during the test in bold. Note that I was able to use the MERM for probably 95 percent of the questions on the test. If I had to do it again, I'd bring the same books. Even though I didn't use the other three, I could see them potentially being needed if I retook the test.

Just as the title says, list all the references you took with you for the exam as well as which exam you took.

Mechanical: Thermal and Fluids

1. NCEES FE Reference Manual (2014)

2. Lindeburgh ME Reference Manual (2014)

3. Moran and Shapiro Intro to Thermodynamics, Tables Supplement (6th Edition)

4. Fox and McDonald Intro to Fluids (4th Edition)
Knowing which references people took with them to the exam isn't nearly as beneficial as knowing which references they found useful during the exam.

Just as the title says, list all the references you took with you for the exam as well as which exam you took.

Mechanical: Thermal and Fluids

1. NCEES FE Reference Manual (2014)

2. Lindeburgh ME Reference Manual (2014)

3. Moran and Shapiro Intro to Thermodynamics, Tables Supplement (6th Edition)

4. Fox and McDonald Intro to Fluids (4th Edition)
Knowing which references people took with them to the exam isn't nearly as beneficial as knowing which references they found useful during the exam.
The three I listed were useful to me on the NCEES practice exam, but I wound up not referencing anything outside of the Lindeburg MERM on exam day.

Primarily I used the NCEES FE Reference Manual. On a couple of very application specific problems I used the MERM due to it having specialized equations, but that was no more than 4 or 5 problems total. Moran and Shapiro was purely used for my thermo tables because I knew the book like the back of my hand. Same with Fox and McDonald.

Chemical.

Used often:

1. Perry's 8th edition

2. Steam tables by Keenan & Keyes

3. CHERM by Lindeberg

4. Lindeberg engineering conversions

Used a couple of times:

5. Review course slides

6. Oxford dictionary of chemical engineering.

Didn't use at all:

7. Heat and mass balances by Incropera

8. ASME steam tables SI units

9. FE Reference Manual

The dictionary wasn't that helpful but I did find definitions/equations needed for at least 1 or 2 questions.

As someone indicated earlier, I similarly wanted to be sure I wasn't sorry for not bringing a needed reference.

Latest posts

Back