Lindeburg: CO2 in Flue Gas Combustion, pg. 40-6

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elarocque

Reaction score
pg. 40-6 Example 40.2:

to use tabulated Volume CO_2 out / Vol Dry Combustion Flue Gas out (Table 40.3) at 3%v O_2 out, we need ratio of volume H in the coal to volume C in the coal...Example 40.2 gives gravimetric C & H amounts at 86.5% and 11.75% in fired coal - he equates these gravimetric compositions to volumetric compositions inorder to use stoichiometry (i understand if a chem. reaction equation posseses all gaseous products and reactions, #volumes mat'l = # moles mat'l)....

bottom line: are we to assume C and H in the coal instantaneously convert from solid to gaseous states, allowing gravimetric compositions to = volumetric H & C compositions in the coal?

Thanks for the help - i need it no doubt.

-Eric

Eric,

My answer to that is: YES, we need to make that assumption for the stochiometry of the combustion to work.

I wish there was a post or section where candidates like us could consolidate all questions we have, especially from the Lindeburg book, and help each other out with insight and, hopefully, solutions. I find myself losing hope trying to find out how and why Lindeburg may come up with a number that he uses in the solution.

tucents -

What you could do is create a thread dedicated to an exchange of information and I could pin the question/consensus result to a 'summary' thread. Does that make sense? Is there enough interest for me to do that?

JR

Latest posts

Back