Life plateau after 30

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst piece of advice anyone ever received is "aim high in life."  How high?  How about U.S. Senator?  There are only 100 of them  at any given time, the competition must be severe.  A better piece of advice is to "aim at your ability level in life, don't accept something lower."   Everyone should know what their real ability in life is and work on that. 

My life goals are more modest.

lAsNv2Vu0DvR8i67elmbHcXw8vU-copy-600x336.jpg

Like my momma always told me, "Cant never could do anything".  No, we won't all be president or senator or engineer or teacher or whatever, but if you have the mindset of "Well, I can't do that" for whatever reason, you will find a way to not do it.    

Change jobs?  Move to a new state or overseas? Join the military?  Take 2 years off and join the Peace Corps?  Lots of ways to shake things up and stay awake. 

I got knocked up as soon as I completed grad school. That helped shake things up enough to where my career was still important but wasn't my sole source of affirmation in life.

voomie

I had that same feeling - I am guessing you're around 7-10 years in? PE, Masters degree, etc...

If you are in transportation (like me) I felt exactly the same way around that time.  Our business is based so much on contacts that it seems like its forever when you can move out of the cube land into something more, I would just offer you to try and extend your business network as much as you can, prof associations, etc. (unless you work in government) get involved on the marketing side some, help on proposals and pursuits. As much I don't really enjoy being a part time sales person, its the only thing that really breaks the monotony...

I'm hoping things eventually start to break free in upper management as the baby boomers finally start retiring, as we've been warned about/promised for so long.  But in many of the organizations I've worked for or with, it seems like they just keep hanging on into ripe old age, camped out in their upper level positions even though many of them are already augmenting their income with a pension or retirement fund from previous careers (and continuing to drive up housing prices because of it, but that's another story).  It is starting to seem like by the time they're gone, all us older GenX people will be ready to retire, ourselves, after spending 20-30 years in the trenches, burning out in project management.  Maybe the Millennials will get the big break that we've been waiting for.

Last edited by a moderator:
voomieI had that same feeling - I am guessing you're around 7-10 years in? PE, Masters degree, etc...

If you are in transportation (like me) I felt exactly the same way around that time.  Our business is based so much on contacts that it seems like its forever when you can move out of the cube land into something more, I would just offer you to try and extend your business network as much as you can, prof associations, etc. (unless you work in government) get involved on the marketing side some, help on proposals and pursuits. As much I don't really enjoy being a part time sales person, its the only thing that really breaks the monotony...
5 years but the poor job market in 2010 helped bump up grad school sooner. Right now I have some involvement with the transportation research board that is helping keep things a little interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

are you doing traffic or roadway stuff?

Im at 20 years but I do remember my years 5-10 were not very fun to be honest. I ended up taking a mgmt. level gig at a county just to bust up the monotony. Had I not moved across the country it would have been great for my career (the county job), but what's done is done!

Back