"Licensed" vs "Registered" Professional Engineer on Stamp?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquefaction

Reaction score
I just got my temporary license from California where it shows "Licensed Professional Engineer". Now all my bosses and every other stamp I've seen has said "Registered Professional Engineer" across the top. Did California change the nomenclature recently-ish?

I guess it doesn't really matter, I'd like it to be consistent with other stamps from the office, i.e. "Registered Professional Engineer" but is there actually a difference or reason I should go with what the temporary seal in the email has said

When you order your stamp, do so from a reputable stamp producer and they will provide a stamp that meets the state requirements.

When you order your stamp, do so from a reputable stamp producer and they will provide a stamp that meets the state requirements.
I was looking at engineerseals.com in particular, which is supposed to be reputable, but they give you the option of which one to choose. I presume they both technically meet requirements?

I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any reason why the nomenclature might be a little different from now and previous older PEs.

Refer to the boar rules @ http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/laws/boardrules.pdf.

411. (a)(1) Within the top border of seal: Either “Professional Engineer,” “Registered Professional Engineer,” or “Licensed Professional Engineer.”

It's interesting it looks like you also get to pick whether your name and branch are straight across or curved with the seal.

I just went with the same format as the senior engineers at my work.

"Registered Professional Engineer"

with double line line border

1 5/8" pre-inked stamp. I'm thinking I should have gone with the traditional rubber stamp since I won't be stamping material that get sent out of my office. Maybe internal paperwork such as calcs.

Made the purchase yesterday with engineeringseals. They're one of the vendors supporting this forum.

^ what's the difference?  Now you won't have an ink pad lying around that dries up.

To me, Registered is for sex offenders but Licensed means you've got authority to do some important sh!t.  However, all I ever see is Registered here in CA.  I went against my heart and listed to my brain and just went with Registered.  I have read several instances on here, as well as personally know two PEs who ordered Licensed and the stamp showed up with Registered anyway.  Just go Registered.  Resistance is futile. 

To me, Registered is for sex offenders but Licensed means you've got authority to do some important sh!t.  However, all I ever see is Registered here in CA.  I went against my heart and listed to my brain and just went with Registered.  I have read several instances on here, as well as personally know two PEs who ordered Licensed and the stamp showed up with Registered anyway.  Just go Registered.  Resistance is futile. 
I ordered "registered" and they sent me "licensed". However, they are making good and sending me what I originally ordered. Now I can double fist!

I just went with the same format as the senior engineers at my work.

"Registered Professional Engineer"

with double line line border

1 5/8" pre-inked stamp. I'm thinking I should have gone with the traditional rubber stamp since I won't be stamping material that get sent out of my office. Maybe internal paperwork such as calcs.

Made the purchase yesterday with engineeringseals. They're one of the vendors supporting this forum.
I got the same stamp but not pre inked. It's alright but the imprint is not a crisp mark unless you line it up and tap the top of the handle. Kinda slow. A part of me has some "Ka-chunk" envy.

What color pre ink did you get?

I got the black pre-inked stamp with an extra tube of refill ink.  Makes fairly nice and crisp seals.  Though with large drawing plans, the digital seal gets the most use.  The physical stamps are approaching "relic" status. ;)

I got the black pre-inked stamp with an extra tube of refill ink.  Makes fairly nice and crisp seals.  Though with large drawing plans, the digital seal gets the most use.  The physical stamps are approaching "relic" status. ;)
I am jealous.  I haven't stamped squat in 4 years (unless you count practice pieces of paper). 

<--- Got my license in 2008 and haven't stamped anything. Although I may have to stamp the parking lot design I'm working soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
25 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

I got the black pre-inked stamp with an extra tube of refill ink.  Makes fairly nice and crisp seals.  Though with large drawing plans, the digital seal gets the most use.  The physical stamps are approaching "relic" status. [emoji6]
I am jealous.  I haven't stamped squat in 4 years (unless you count practice pieces of paper). 
There is something other than scrap sheets of paper to stamp?

Ohio's says Registered

Back