• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Len Webster's "A Dictionary of Environmental and Civil Engineering"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WR/ENV_Instructor

WR/ENV Instructor/Author
Reaction score
FYI,

While looking for an unrelated book, I just noticed that the infamous Civil PE exam dictionary: A Dictionary of Environmental and Civil Engineering: Len Webster (Hardcover, 2000) is now listed for sale on a few sites. There have been numerous discussion of the value of this dictionary to help cherry pick a few exam questions.

Hope this post helps future PE examinees.

WWW.HALF.COM

Price: $150.00 Condition: Like New Seller popawheely

Price: $216.62 Condition: Brand New Seller: ukazoo_books

Price: $256.94 Condition: Brand New Seller: book_barons

WWW.AMAZON.COM

1 used & new available from $214.06

the odds of you getting it even if you order it are slim. they tend to list it and then cancel your order. i have it scanned in somewhere as a pdf. ill figure out a way to post it. someone PM me in a week or so if i havent done it.

edit: i had it and used it on the PE. id recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree, I was able to buy it myself off Half.com years ago so I think it's worth a try. I'd be wary of the brand new claims, but the two used books are probably legit. The one ($150.00 on Half.com) describes it as a PE reference so it's probably a previous test taker

squishles10 - please do not post the PDF. It's illegal, copyright and may lead to future legal action. There was potential for this to happen a few years ago on this site here when someone tried to copyrighted material - enough said. Let the public download dictionaries that are meant to be download and available for free via WWW (there are plenty se EPA and USACE websites).

It's up to you, but why take the chance and open yourself to publisher legal action?

I tried the whole time I was studying to get a copy of this dictionary and was never able to.

I remember going into the exam wishing I was able to get it.

After the exam I realized all the definitions I'd need were in the CERM or references I already had.

Looking back I wouldn't worry if you can't get it. You have more definitions than you think in your references.

I have a copy for sale: $129 shipped (exactly what I paid for it several months ago). It is in very good condition (tight binding, good cover, no highlighting, etc.). I used it several times during the exam and it more than paid for itself since I passed!

Email me:

[email protected]

the odds of you getting it even if you order it are slim. they tend to list it and then cancel your order. i have it scanned in somewhere as a pdf. ill figure out a way to post it. someone PM me in a week or so if i havent done it.
edit: i had it and used it on the PE. id recommend it.

Hello. I am having some trouble finding "A Dictionary of Environmental & Civil Engineering" by Len Webster. Did you ever find the PDF copy you mentioned and if so, could you forward it to [email protected] or [email protected] It would be an awesome help. I am taking the WR/Env. PE in NY this October.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bob Severance, EIT, CPESC

Instead of asking people to violate copyrights (you do know it's illegal to post electronic versions of copyrighted material?), why not just visit your library?!? With inter-library loans you should be able to get it at a library close to you.

Personally, I didn't find the dictionary very helpful.

Back