Learning the Transpo References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC2011

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,

I am studying for the Transpo Afternoon PE Exam (First Time for Transpo PM exam & Not a Transpo Engineer) and was wondering if the exam tells you which References to refer to.

I have been practicing the NCEES Practice Exam (Transportaion PM), CERM Practice Exam (Transportation PM), and Six Minute Solutions.

I have been primarily using the following references do practice problems: CERM 10th Edition, MUTCD 2009, HCM 2010, and AGDHS 2004 (green book)

The only way for me to know which reference to look up initially was referring to the solution. Does anyone have any advice on key words to look for when trying to save time in looking through references?

Although NCEES exam says refer to AASHTO criteria (not specifically where), the CERM six minute solutions actually tells you where to reference the criteria to perform the problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi DC

The only real answer is that you need to be very acquainted with your references. You need to know your references so well that you know which reference covers which topic. For example, if you get an LOS or a signalized intersection question, you know to go to the HCM. A super elevation or roundabout question, to the GDHS. A sign or traffic control question, to the MUTCD. A clear zone or barrier question, to the RDG. Etc. Good luck! You can do it.

Back