last minute ques....prohibited text

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winbig

Reaction score
i have several old text books that have pencil marks. (some are actually corrections to the text itself)

technically this violates the 'no pencil' marks clause.

however, i'm sure many people have this situation - hundreds of notes throughout several books they would like to take to the exam. it would seem unreasonable to forbid such into the exam room. has anyone spoken to NCEES about this? my gut feeling is that they would not be a problem unless the proctor saw you actually 'writing' in a book.

thanks.

winbig

ques #2

what about books that are falling (have fallen) apart at the binding?

thanks

winbig

if there are pencil marks in a book I would erase them or copy over them in pen so there is no doubt that they weren't made during the exam. I would not run the risk of taking a book full of pencil marks in it, you are just asking for trouble.

How bad is the book that's falling apart? Can it be patched together well enough that it won't fall to pieces in the exam? Whether or not that is okay will probably be at the discretion of the proctors at your testing site.

i'm in TEXAS...

two books in particular...Shigley & Mischke & Thermodynamics...most pages are still glued together, but the bindings have split apart so i have 2 or 3 pieces of the book & a just a few single pages.

again, i'd really expect them to be okay unless a very rigid proctoring was enforced.

and thank you for the speedy replies.

(you know, the things that i'm still shaking my head about are the errors in the NCEES practice test and the lack of clear explanations on some problems. but that's another topic entirely.)

winbig

Winbig you got me nervous, about penciled notes, I just called the NY state board, she said they follow the NCEES candidate agreement rules to a tee. The candidate agreement mentions nothing of penciled notes.

So that saves me a couple hrs of rewriting everything lol.

Back