Know of a good surveying text?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP - VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal
Reaction score
As most of you know, my background (and hopefully license) are in environmental.

However, the office I work for is currently working on more land development types of projects instead - commercial sites, subdivisions, etc.

I deal with a lot of base maps, surveyors, abutters lists, property lines, easements, etc.

I don't know the first thing about surveying, never took a course in it in school. And I think that is hurting me a little bit when I have to deal with survey stuff. I also know they are looking to grow a survey division here, and some knowledge would help me better tell them what I need.

So, can any of you recommend a decent intro. level surveying textbook? Like if you had a good book in college or something.

Something I can thumb through just to learn some basics. I don't need to know how to run instruments, but some basic theory and terms would be helpful.

Thanks!

I use the Land Surveyor Reference Manual, sadly its published by PPI, but not written by Lindeberg. It came in handy for about 3 questions on the PE Exam as well, but its written very well. I think the writer is Andrew Harbin, if that helps you find it, much better than any college textbook.

Latest posts

Back