Kaplan Sample Exam Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd18vm

Reaction score
Okay this is probably more a gripe than anything else. I just got the Kaplan Sample exam yesterday, I like the way it appears to work problems.

But the first power problem seems wrought with errors, minor yes but still. Comparing the Solutions to the problem they all the sudden decided to change the Z from an angle of 22.6 to 22.62, no biggie but you wont get the -52.62 degree answer, which carries over to the power factor. Also 13600/Sqrt 3 is not 7852.2 tell me how THAT rounding up works...its correct on page 128

I do understand the PE will be more like "....answer is most nearly..."

is there errata for this, i hadn't had any luck finding it. This is the first problem I'm working, is this to be expected? Anyone else find this?

ok im done...<breath>

John

John,

Kaplan's test, and I am talking exclusively about the Power module, is much more complex than the NCEES' test and it is not representative of the things you will find on the real test. That is a fact.

But it is a great tool to review concepts that you will need to apply on the test. It was frustrating for me at the beginning but once I caught the groove(pardon my language) I made the most of it and I say that without that preparation I would not passed the test.

Regarding the problem you are asking about don't worry too much about that numbers issue. As irritating as it might be keep your focus on your process and the method. You are right about the "most nearly" statement. It is going to be like that. If your method is OK and you understand what is asked you will be OK.

I have the sample test with me now and checked the division you mentioned. In mine I have 13600/Sqrt(3) = 7851.96(magnitude).

Check the phasors diagram carefully and be sure you understand it, not only for this problem, but for future problems and the test. I found that to be an excellent tool during the test.

John,
Kaplan's test, and I am talking exclusively about the Power module, is much more complex than the NCEES' test and it is not representative of the things you will find on the real test. That is a fact.

But it is a great tool to review concepts that you will need to apply on the test. It was frustrating for me at the beginning but once I caught the groove(pardon my language) I made the most of it and I say that without that preparation I would not passed the test.

Regarding the problem you are asking about don't worry too much about that numbers issue. As irritating as it might be keep your focus on your process and the method. You are right about the "most nearly" statement. It is going to be like that. If your method is OK and you understand what is asked you will be OK.

I have the sample test with me now and checked the division you mentioned. In mine I have 13600/Sqrt(3) = 7851.96(magnitude).

Check the phasors diagram carefully and be sure you understand it, not only for this problem, but for future problems and the test. I found that to be an excellent tool during the test.
Thanks, it does look comprehensive. You can also disregard my comment about the Impedance..lol A simple conversion of the Rect to Polar myself yields the 22.62. As I said, just ranting, the other is def a typo in mine. Oh well back to it.

John

Back