Kaplan Power Sample Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekayak

Power Systems Engineer
Reaction score
For Kaplan power sample #3, the total reactive power is given in the solutions as sqrt(3)x[P(WB) - P(WA)]. After researching many different sources, including some old circuits II lab material, and the excellent handout recommended by Flyer, I'm still not sure why the wattmeter B power is subtracted from the wattmeter A power. This of course impacts the solution (-Q or leading pf if WB - WA / +Q or lagging pf if WA - WB). Please advise if you have any suggestions.

For Kaplan power sample #3, the total reactive power is given in the solutions as sqrt(3)x[P(WB) - P(WA)]. After researching many different sources, including some old circuits II lab material, and the excellent handout recommended by Flyer, I'm still not sure why the wattmeter B power is subtracted from the wattmeter A power. This of course impacts the solution (-Q or leading pf if WB - WA / +Q or lagging pf if WA - WB). Please advise if you have any suggestions.
I used this sample exam for the electronics part, so I am not familiar with this problem. Bu tI recall people complaining about a lot of errors in this test. Although I found it to be valuable extra practice material.

I used this sample exam for the electronics part, so I am not familiar with this problem. Bu tI recall people complaining about a lot of errors in this test. Although I found it to be valuable extra practice material.

Hi,

Is this a free exam for download? I can use more example problems for electronics, especially the free type. :)

Hi,

Is this a free exam for download? I can use more example problems for electronics, especially the free type. :)
Unfortunately, it's not free. However, I think the power sample from Kaplan was worth the cost for the extra problems. I agree with Benbo regarding some errors, although overall valuable study material.

Unfortunately, it's not free. However, I think the power sample from Kaplan was worth the cost for the extra problems. I agree with Benbo regarding some errors, although overall valuable study material.
The Kaplan electrical power practice exam is definitely a good resource to reinforce basic concepts but I also have discovered a number of grammatical errors in addition to various computational errors.

Back