Just took CA Survey Oct 2012

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milecargo, I never said that exam was difficult, I just pointed out some pitfalls for the future exam takers and that is what I believe this forum is for. Did I whine a little bit about my performance? Yes, I did, which I truly regret.
I wasn't knocking your input specifically, was talking generally about some people I've seen on here.

In your case, if you didn't pass Survey you'll just want to re-do all of the problems and re-read the Cuomo until you've mastered everything.

I'm puzzled as to why the Seismic and Surveying exams are so extremely hyped.

I studied for Survey using Cuomo, and Boniface's sample problems. Did every problem in those books three or four times over the course of three months - studied every single day for 1-2 hours. Took the test and felt as if I only missed a few.

I took Seismic today. Went through the Hiner and did every problem three or four times over the course of three months - studied every single day for 1-2 hours. Took the test and felt as if I missed 10-15 at the max.

My concern is that many do not invest the time that these exams truly require.

Anyway, the Prometric format is pretty sweet. You can "mark" problems that you want to return to and at the end of the test (or any time during the test) you can review the marked problems. The workbook is pretty thick and you don't use all of the figures in the workbook.

What do you mean by the Seis/Surv exams being "so extremely hyped"?
I'm disgruntled by the way some people present their view of the difficulty level of the exams on these Boards - as if there's some magic to the exam. Some people here create a hysteria that is uneccessary.

The recipie for success is simple - consistent studying, truly MASTERING problems not just getting through them, and repeating them over and over. Getting help if you're stuck on a concept, not simply just skipping over them. Practice makes perfect.
Sorry, I am still not following you. I don't think anyone has unreasonably complained that the Seis/Surv are any harder or require different preparation than, say, the 8-hr, have they? I don't believe anyone has created any hysteria.

Yes, I agree with you - studying and mastering problems is key (for all three exams). I'm sure most would agree with that.

I took surveying today after taking seismic two weeks ago. For me it was much harder test and I ran out of time, as opposed to seismic, which I finished early with spare time to check and correct marked questions. I found that many survey questions required a lot of simple but lengthy calculations, which take time if you do not do them regulary (and I do not do surveying at all like majority of structural engineers) and do not know short-cuts vs. solving triangles etc.. There were also questions that were not covered in Cuomo book. It seems that Boniface's sample problems are presented in much simpler way than test questions: it took me much more time (comparing to Cuomo and Boniface's books) to understand what am I being asked. I did study for this test and I solved all problems in Cuomo book and Boniface's book and then some...yet I am very disappointed with my performance. When there was 1 minute left I simply did not have time to even read all remaining questions and just guessed. With this format it is rather hard to select "easy" questions and do them first. Does anyone know what is approximate passing score (%)?
The passing score has historicially been about 55% +/- .

Here are the statistics on past exams, recently updated to include April 2012.

/>http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/exam_statistics.shtml

I took surveying today after taking seismic two weeks ago. For me it was much harder test and I ran out of time, as opposed to seismic, which I finished early with spare time to check and correct marked questions. I found that many survey questions required a lot of simple but lengthy calculations, which take time if you do not do them regulary (and I do not do surveying at all like majority of structural engineers) and do not know short-cuts vs. solving triangles etc.. There were also questions that were not covered in Cuomo book. It seems that Boniface's sample problems are presented in much simpler way than test questions: it took me much more time (comparing to Cuomo and Boniface's books) to understand what am I being asked. I did study for this test and I solved all problems in Cuomo book and Boniface's book and then some...yet I am very disappointed with my performance. When there was 1 minute left I simply did not have time to even read all remaining questions and just guessed. With this format it is rather hard to select "easy" questions and do them first. Does anyone know what is approximate passing score (%)?
The passing score has historicially been about 55% +/- .
I find this so incredibly awesome. To know while you're taking the test that you have the luxury of skipping some problems without risk of failing is a great feeling.

My test was interesting. The very first question (Seismic) was something that went WAY out of my scope/over my head. I was on the verge of panic until the problems started rolling in that were, "hey i've done this 6 times over again".

I want to kick the testing board right in the balls...or vagina (guy or girl depending).

For the record I took the national structural and CA seismic and passed first time. So I do have two exams to compare this to. Survey is another animal.

I took a class in college (Cal Poly SLO), sat for the exam once and used 3 different sample problem reference books (all the published material that people speak of on here). I felt very confident going into to it.

There simply is not enough TIME. As recommended by a few friends who just took it I went start to finish and only answered problems I knew I could get in 30 seconds. They hide these at the end so find them and do them first!I then worked through medium difficulty problems then to the more time intensive ones. In the last 20 minutes I have 15 problems to answer... and I worked fast. I ended up flat out guessing on about 10, halfway guessing on another 5. My good friend who is more civil oriented took and passed the LSIT and he performed the same as me. Other people in his office were in the same boat. A man who tested the same day as me said he had to guess on nearly half of them due to time

This is the situation: Take the sample problems you have practiced with, make them more real world, tweak them a little with a few curve balls and give yourself less time than you are used to. This is the test.

This is a professional exam. In the real world you have TIME to think and work out problems. If you work slower than most then you won't be profitable. This should not be a college speed like test. This should be a test that verifies that we are competent to be civil engineers. A requisite for being a civil engineer shouldn't be HOW FAST you can take an exam.

Pickles_the_cat, I had a similar test experience on this last surveying exam. I ran out of time. I'm frustrated because surveying is the last obstacle I need to conquer in order to become a California RCE. I passed the other two test, so I had the luxury of just studying surveying. I know it so well, I could probably teach a surveying review course. But, I think I failed the dang test.

If you didn't type in your "concerns" into the computer at the end of the test (during the evaluation), you can always download the "Examination Comment From" pdf from the Board website, fill it out, and mail it in. I did. Though the Board is looking for your "concerns" regarding specific problems, I just stated I had issue with all the problems because there was not enough time to complete the test due to the flip-flopping from computer screen to art pamphlet (not to mention the extra 5 problems). If enough people do this, the Board may realize that the low passing rate of this test (and it will be low) may be partly due to the test format rather than just the stupidity of the test takers (aka, testees). You can download the form from the following link:

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/exam.shtml

"Cheers"

pickles_the_cat said:
I've been a board lurker for a year now that I've been taking the Civil PE exams, and finally felt the need to sign up for an account to comment.
You've been lurking here for a year and didn't know the exam had increased to 55 questions? I don't even live in CA and knew that. The OP of this thread said it in the second sentence! Now it may be hard and there may not be enough time, but not knowing the length of the exam is on you. We're engineers - we shouldn't expect to be spoon fed.

Regardless, hopefully you did better than you think. Good luck!

pickles_the_cat said:
I've been a board lurker for a year now that I've been taking the Civil PE exams, and finally felt the need to sign up for an account to comment.
You've been lurking here for a year and didn't know the exam had increased to 55 questions? I don't even live in CA and knew that. The OP of this thread said it in the second sentence! Now it may be hard and there may not be enough time, but not knowing the length of the exam is on you. We're engineers - we shouldn't expect to be spoon fed.

Well, I don't think an examinee should have to find out that the exam increased from 50 to 55 questions from a discussion forum.

Anyway guys, I feel your pain. I know the Surv and the Seis exams are extremely difficult to complete in 2.5 hours. 50 questions was hard, 55 is that much harder. But don't be discouraged. When I took the Surv exam, I only 'felt good' about 32 (of 50) problems and passed. When I took the Seis, I only 'felt good' about 27 (of 50) and passed. I felt like I did not have enough time on either exam. It's ok, everyone feels the same way. We're all in the same boat. I don't think the state board is out to get you. I want to believe that the 5 extra questions are to your advantage. Perhaps your total correct answers will still be out of 50 total and the 5 extra questions where to help compensate for the disadvantage of the diagram booklet. ? Either way, I'm sure the historical statistics will apply (a 50% +/- on the exam is needed to pass and 40% +/- of the examinees will pass). Best of luck everyone.

pickles_the_cat said:

Well, I don't think an examinee should have to find out that the exam increased from 50 to 55 questions from a discussion forum.
I quite agree. So how should he have known? My point was if I was going to take a test, I'd sure check out the format, etc. ahead of time. That's my responsibility.

I would normally agree with MiG, but in defense of the OP, I don't see where it says 55 questions vs. 50 on the exam specs.

/>http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/plan_civsurvey.pdf

Noobs...where do they find them and why do they keep sending them here?

You seem like the kind of person who would complain if her ice cream was cold and the sky was blue.

sensors-indicate-noob.jpg

pickles_the_cat said:

I quite agree. So how should he have known? My point was if I was going to take a test, I'd sure check out the format, etc. ahead of time. That's my responsibility.
Sure. I think the point is that there was no way to check. I don't think anyone knew until the first testers started taking the exam.

Noobs...where do they find them and why do they keep sending them here?

You seem like the kind of person who would complain if her ice cream was cold and the sky was blue.
Come on VT, you could be nicer in welcoming a new member. ;)

I think it's an understandable and valid concern to worry about a 'surprise' 10% increase in exam questions (and 0% increase in allotted time). I'm sure there would be a huge uproar by most of the other examinees if the 8-hr exam went from 80 to 88 questions with no warning.

Back