Job Title "Engineer" without PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my firm, all the project managers are PEs and all engineers and designers have engineering degrees. You don't get to put "engineer" in your title until you get your PE; before that point, you're a "bridge designer."

FWIW, I almost never referred to myself as an engineer, even casually, despite the fact that I have both a BSCE and MSCE, until I got my PE (just a few weeks ago!). Before that, I was an EIT, an Engineer-in-Training, or, in some states, an Engineering Intern. Regardless of my degrees, for me these two titles explained it all - as long as I was just an EIT (or EI), I wasn't a full-fledged engineer and I wouldn't claim to be one.

As pointed out previously though, each field is different. Does anyone know how the title is treated in other countries? When I was in Afghanistan, I met with some "engineers" whose use of the title would definitely upset some folks in this thread. Of course, their "doctors" were the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came across this post while searching for titles on Business cards.

I just got my PE (Civil/Structural) from TX but now working with a NJ based company. Is it allowed OR ok to use PE title on my business card? NJ laws require an engineer to use term "engineer" on business cards only if he/she has a PE but doesnt say PE from NJ or any state in US.

Any "engineers" from NJ?

TIA.

I just got my PE (Civil/Structural) from TX but now working with a NJ based company. Is it allowed OR ok to use PE title on my business card? NJ laws require an engineer to use term "engineer" on business cards only if he/she has a PE but doesnt say PE from NJ or any state in US.

Any "engineers" from NJ?

TIA.
You should verify this but....

I would not put PE if your license is from Texas but you work in NJ. You are not licensed to practice in the state that your company is in.

Any "engineers" from NJ?

TIA.
You should verify this but....

I would not put PE if your license is from Texas but you work in NJ. You are not licensed to practice in the state that your company is in.
In case anyone else asks this question - this is correct. Technically you can't even identify yourself as an engineer verbally without clarifying what state. When I worked in a similar situation, I would (when asked if I was "one of the engineers") explain that I was a licensed P.E. but not in that state.

The People's Republic of NJ is very strict about this.

I work with plenty of PA/MD/DE engineers, and they don't even sign NJ-related correspondence with PE after their names if they don't hold an NJ license.

Back