ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
Similar to the other thread - I'm wondering if the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook is required, or just useful.

I'm preparing for April 2011, and after much $$$ already have the MUTCD, HCM & AASHTO Geometric Design (Green Book). These are referenced in the CERM, and from that I gather are important. None of the other references seems to be referenced specifically from the questions in the CERM.

However, I have seen conflicting reports of usefulness for the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook. Is it just good to have or is it likely going to be needed?

I would love to have all of the texts - Asphalt Handbook, Design/Control of Concrete Mixtures etc etc., but money doesn't grow on trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the texts are "required", the references listed are what the NCEES have used to base the exam on. No one can clearly define if a specific text is going to be more useful than another on the exam since we don't know what will be on the test. People should not be revealing what questions have come up on previous exams or they will be violating their NCEES candidate agreement. You don't have to have all the texts for the exam, just know that you are taking a risk that you will not have a reference which may help you answer a question on exam day. How much are those references worth to you if it means not having them could result in you having to take the exam again?

I took the transportation exam and I did not have all the recommended references with me. It was a risk I was willing to take. I figured if I wasn't that familiar with a reference it wouldn't do me much good anyway. Did I miss questions because I didn't have all the recommended references? Yes.

I am not fishing for revelations on whether this text is used for x number of questions on an exam - which as you point out would be irrelevant to me anyways since my exam will be a different one.

However,

Certain texts, such as the HCM, are frequently referenced in well known guide books sample questions. For example, in the CERM Ch 73 many questions require one to check HCM figures & tables to get the answers. CERM's Ch 73 also explicitly states the standard reference material for the chapter is the HCM, the Green Book & the MUTCD. It is obvious that this text is required for certain types of questions - because the relevant tables/charts etc are not in the CERM or Goswami.

I do not see any such statements or sample questions calling out answers from ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook. So, my question is really this:

For those of you who have read the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook, is there an abundance of information within it that is not included in the CERM, Goswami or Green Book? Or is it mainly a repeat of information found in those books?

A secondary question would be, does anyone know where I could find a copy of the Table of Contents for the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook - from which I might be able to deduce it's relative importance myself (by comparing to the NCEES Exam Specifications).

In last October exam, I brought CERM, All in One, HCM, Greenbook, Roadside design. I finished the exam in 3 hours. I would rather miss a question than buying all books such as ITE, Concrete, Asphalt. You already have a chapters of Asphalt, Concrete Mixture in CERM and All in One. You've better spend on PE exams samples from PPI and All in One's author, 6 minutes or others.

Similar to the other thread - I'm wondering if the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook is required, or just useful.
I'm preparing for April 2011, and after much $$$ already have the MUTCD, HCM & AASHTO Geometric Design (Green Book). These are referenced in the CERM, and from that I gather are important. None of the other references seems to be referenced specifically from the questions in the CERM.

However, I have seen conflicting reports of usefulness for the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook. Is it just good to have or is it likely going to be needed?

I would love to have all of the texts - Asphalt Handbook, Design/Control of Concrete Mixtures etc etc., but money doesn't grow on trees.

In last October exam, I brought CERM, All in One, HCM, Greenbook, Roadside design. I finished the exam in 3 hours. I would rather miss a question than buying all books such as ITE, Concrete, Asphalt. You already have a chapters of Asphalt, Concrete Mixture in CERM and All in One. You've better spend on PE exams samples from PPI and All in One's author, 6 minutes or others.

These are the type of questions

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=13761&hl=

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=10325&hl=

I did not have it in Oct and would not have used it even if I did have it. I spoke to dozens of people and have only had 1 person say that they used it. It was several years ago and he said that the newer editions of CERM include the information now.

I took it to the Oct 10 exam and I used it on a few problems. It was helpful and perhaps the information is available in other references, but I studied with the book and felt familiar with it. I borrowed the book from the library though to avoid the cost. It never hurts to bring alot of references as long as you are familiar with them.

It is on the list and there are things in the book that are used......

However, the same things are in other books and I never once touched it, it just stayed in my suitcase the entire test.

I borrowed this book from a coworker. I honestly can't remember if I used it or not, but I think I did - I brought all the recommended references and I believe I got at least one answer from each reference. Borrow a copy if you can. If you can answer one question correctly because you brought the reference, it is worth having that reference. You could pass or fail based on one question.

The other question is which version. There were a few books I brought that were not the most updated versions or the exact versions that were used on the exam. While I'll never know if this cost me a correct answer, I did pass. I bought a new version of the green book, downloaded the latest MUTCD, and borrowed a current HCM - I considered these the most important books to use. A few days before the exam I freaked out and bought a new Roadside Design Guide (I know I used that - not sure if it was helpful), and then borrowed older versions of the ITE traffic book, AASHTO pavement structures, asphalt handbook, and concrete handbook. I used all of the books at least once. I found the CERM chapters corresponding to the HCM and green book less than satisfactory - the books had a lot more information and were easier to use (for me).

Back