Is it worth it to take the SE exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ Well said @smahurin!!!

I think my masters gave me the theoretical knowledge and understanding of the mechanics so I can figure out why code provisions exist and what their intent is.
This is why engineers need to understand the theory and why the PE exams include some theory. Right @Phatso86

College degrees don't equate to credentials in the world of engineering. PE's and, in the world of structural types, SE's are the credentials to have. Thankfully for some, you don't need these credentials in order to have a successful career. In my world of consulting, a PE is more valuable to a masters degree.

And, as pointed out, having a PE and not being a douche is difficult for a narcissist.

College degrees don't equate to credentials in the world of engineering. PE's and, in the world of structural types, SE's are the credentials to have. Thankfully for some, you don't need these credentials in order to have a successful career. In my world of consulting, a PE is more valuable to a masters degree.

And, as pointed out, having a PE and not being a douche is difficult for a narcissist.
That's where the debate comes into play though in my opinion.  The industry only cares if you have a PE (and maybe an SE) and has no concern whether you have a bachelors, masters, PhD, ninja black belt, etc.  And I don't think there is really any argument to be made there.  

And so if there are people out there who feel that a PE/SE is more important or valuable to them, I can't tell them they are wrong.  I do think that the legal credentials, PE/SE, have value to an individual and even more value to an organization.  I chose to get my SE even though I'm in a non-SE state and am glad I did so.  However, I personally feel that better understanding of the material (even if it comes without a legal credential) is more valuable to ME as an individual.

I think this is one of those issues where there is no right answer.  It's just up to ones own opinion.  

14 minutes ago, Ken PE 3.0 said:   College degrees don't equate to credentials in the world of engineering. PE's and, in the world of structural types, SE's are the credentials to have. Thankfully for some, you don't need these credentials in order to have a successful career. In my world of consulting, a PE is more valuable to a masters degree.

That's where the debate comes into play though in my opinion.  The industry only cares if you have a PE (and maybe an SE) and has no concern whether you have a bachelors, masters, PhD, ninja black belt, etc.  And I don't think there is really any argument to be made there.  And so if there are people out there who feel that a PE/SE is more important or valuable to them, I can't tell them they are wrong.  I do think that the legal credentials, PE/SE, have value to an individual and even more value to an organization.  I chose to get my SE even though I'm in a non-SE state and am glad I did so.  However, I personally feel that better understanding of the material (even if it comes without a legal credential) is more valuable to ME as an individual.

I think this is one of those issues where there is no right answer.  It's just up to ones own opinion.  
I don't disagree with you. It all comes down to worth: self-worth or professional worth. Having a ME would probably make the PE/SE a slight bit easier. I wouldn't know, my former boss told me he would hire a PE over a ME any day of the week. That was all I needed to hear.

That's where the debate comes into play though in my opinion.  The industry only cares if you have a PE (and maybe an SE) and has no concern whether you have a bachelors, masters, PhD, ninja black belt, etc.  And I don't think there is really any argument to be made there.  

And so if there are people out there who feel that a PE/SE is more important or valuable to them, I can't tell them they are wrong.  I do think that the legal credentials, PE/SE, have value to an individual and even more value to an organization.  I chose to get my SE even though I'm in a non-SE state and am glad I did so.  However, I personally feel that better understanding of the material (even if it comes without a legal credential) is more valuable to ME as an individual.

Having both an ME and a PE myself, I think the work experience required to attain my PE was been the most valuable. However, I will place the caveat that went straight from my bachelors to my masters, and had the college mindset of "just pass the classes" while getting my ME, so I may have missed out on a lot of value.

I really think it's a subjective matter and there's no one best option for everyone. 

But my bosses definitely consider the SE to be a valuable credential and have also hired several engineers who have their PE but not their ME.

I don't disagree with you. It all comes down to worth: self-worth or professional worth. Having a ME would probably make the PE/SE a slight bit easier. I wouldn't know, my former boss told me he would hire a PE over a ME any day of the week. That was all I needed to hear.

Having both an ME and a PE myself, I think the work experience required to attain my PE was been the most valuable. However, I will place the caveat that went straight from my bachelors to my masters, and had the college mindset of "just pass the classes" while getting my ME, so I may have missed out on a lot of value.

I really think it's a subjective matter and there's no one best option for everyone. 

But my bosses definitely consider the SE to be a valuable credential and have also hired several engineers who have their PE but not their ME.
I think smahurin meant "ME" as himself. And smahurin I agree a masters degree will give you better grasp on theory and a better engineer overall, but unfortunately all post-graduate programs are not equal in standard, thus an exam like the PE or SE is necessary to create some sort of arbitrary hurdle into the engineering profession. Are those exams perfect no, but it provides a base level of measure. As you say, there is no right or wrong answer...it's all about personal goals and how an individual wants to navigate his/her career path.

I have the elusive trifecta. MSE, SE, and PE.

PE with emphasis on structural is perfectly adequate for the everyday engineering here in Indiana.  I think you start to stretch it when you get into seismic in the Evansville area, but with the right mentoring and examples, you can learn enough to be proficient

Anything higher than zone 2 should probably have an SE in my personal opinion, or be under the direct supervision of someone who has it.

I wouldn't trust myself designing something structural right out of school with just an MSE and no guidance / mentorship reviewing the work. My masters gave me a great base for theory and analysis, but It didn't have a lot of design. I learned that on the job working for senior structural engineers.

I have the elusive trifecta. MSE, SE, and PE.

PE with emphasis on structural is perfectly adequate for the everyday engineering here in Indiana.  I think you start to stretch it when you get into seismic in the Evansville area, but with the right mentoring and examples, you can learn enough to be proficient

Anything higher than zone 2 should probably have an SE in my personal opinion, or be under the direct supervision of someone who has it.

I wouldn't trust myself designing something structural right out of school with just an MSE and no guidance / mentorship reviewing the work. My masters gave me a great base for theory and analysis, but It didn't have a lot of design. I learned that on the job working for senior structural engineers.
Is MSE a title? I would say not for the same reason that I would say a B.S. isn't a title.

The real trifecta would be PhD, SE, PE since they are all titles.

Unfortunately I had that same mind set. I graduated at 21 with a master's in structural and with less friends than I came into college with. What a mistake that was...

Unfortunately I had that same mind set. I graduated at 21 with a master's in structural and with less friends than I came into college with. What a mistake that was...
:blink:

perhaps one should consider the probability of that actually being a dependent variable?

Technically it'd be fewer friends, and that was actually the exact opposite of my situation. Typically when you're getting through school just to have it done you have plenty of time for socializing. Did you have to do some sort of running start program to get a master's degree finished so early? Also, did they make you pay grad school tuition or were you on good terms with some professors so that you got an assistantship research project like I did?

Did you have to do some sort of running start program to get a master's degree finished so early?
I'm guessing he's just smart ass hell and was able to pass the tests without understanding the theory. I'm also guessing he gave people attitude when they tried to help him. He likely bitched about how stupid the test was too.  

5 minutes ago, thekzieg PE said: Did you have to do some sort of running start program to get a master's degree finished so early?
I'm guessing he's just smart ass hell and was able to pass the tests without understanding the theory. I'm also guessing he gave people attitude when they tried to help him. He likely bitched about how stupid the test was too.  
Who needs friends anyways?

you mean like the power exam that was mostly theory which i still passed on first go?

contradicted yourself there, buddy

you mean like the power exam that was mostly theory which i still passed on first go?

contradicted yourself there, buddy
hahahah, yes, yes that's the one. You cried for about 4 weeks after the exam about how it was unfair that there was so much theory on the exam. Had you failed you would still be crying. But, lucky for us, you passes. So you must be the most qualified power PE out there.

Awww, are we really buddies? That's so sweet.

Back