Is it worth buying T/F six minute solutions?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHood

Reaction score
I already have the 6MS HVAC and 6MS Machine Design (MD) books. I have been studying since Feb for Oct's exam. I have finished studying HVAC and did the MERM & PP, 6MS breadth and depth, and am almost finished the Thermal Fluids (T/F) MERM sections.

I am a repeat taker and will take the MD Depth. I only had the MD depth 6MS when I studied last time (out of all 3 6MS), and I thought it was helpful. I finished all the breadth and depth from the HVAC 6MS earlier this year, and thought it was useful to help with time management. Every review I see for the T/F 6MS is that it is garbage...amazon/ebay/engineerboards.

Is it even worth spending ~$45-$60. I still plan to purchase practice exams, but should I buy the 6MS T/F? I want to get 40/40 on the AM so I don't even have to risk taking the PE again.

Was it worthwhile to anyone?

You have the time so I would go ahead and get it.

Yes it has quite a few flaws. But the problems on the real test could too.

I think the TF is one of the better 6MS books. I think the MD one was awful. I'd highly recommend getting the TF and the HVAC. Since you're taking the MD afternoon, I wouldn't do any more than just the breadth section in the TF and HVAC 6MS and you should be more than prepared.

I have the older edition of the SMS books that included all of the sections.

I took the Thermo/Fluids portion and I NEVER even looked the MD or the HVAC problems.

With that said, it is my opinion that the SMS in your area is enough.

Tim

The TF 6MS is not bad. Some of the problems are obscure. They focus quite heavily on pump related problems.

I thought the MD 6MS was terrible. The number of errors was staggering.

NCEES really loves open and closed feedwater heaters. As I remember you will usually only see those problems on the NCEES practice exams.

I remember those MD errors. I get to look forward to going through those errors again very soon once I get done with T/F.

Thanks for the input. I saw a posting in "yard sale" of a copy for $30, so I might get a copy.

I found the MD 6MS filled with many errors but I really learned much from it. The problems were challenging but solvable and certainly not in 6 minutes. I did only the breadth sections for T&F and HVAC since I took the MD depth. Although I found some of the problems frustrating...especially the ones with errors...it gave me confidence. By the time I took the NCEES sample exam i found it relatively easy.

Back