Is CA survey any different from normal survey?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofychallenge

Reaction score
From those of you who took the test, I want to know if I can use my 'normal' survey study materials I used when I passed the PE in Oklahoma, or if I need to worry about getting new material for the CA specific surveying exam.

And while we're talking about CA exams, does anyone know of a review book that covers the new code? I only see reviews that were made in '08. I assume the text would be similar, but the CA reference code is the 2010 version.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
From those of you who took the test, I want to know if I can use my 'normal' survey study materials I used when I passed the PE in Oklahoma, or if I need to worry about getting new material for the CA specific surveying exam.
And while we're talking about CA exams, does anyone know of a review book that covers the new code? I only see reviews that were made in '08. I assume the text would be similar, but the CA reference code is the 2010 version.

Any thoughts?
What did you use for "normal" survey for PE? The Civil PE manual from PPI? If yes, then this is not sufficient. Look up on CA board and they have a 4 page list of subjects to study.

For Seismic - did they announce already that the new code is adopted? It was not for the past October test.

Any thoughts?
What did you use for "normal" survey for PE? The Civil PE manual from PPI? If yes, then this is not sufficient. Look up on CA board and they have a 4 page list of subjects to study.

For Seismic - did they announce already that the new code is adopted? It was not for the past October test.
Here is the link to CA Surveying topics:

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/plan_civsurvey.pdf

I appreciate the help. I used the ppi civil manual for survey for my PE, along with general survey notes from a review course. From the boards, it sounded like similar material, and I didn't want to waste the money. Sounds like it's not a waste.

I believe the CA board has announced it is using the new CBC 10 starting in April, and I don't see any review material that tries to cover it. I haven't noticed much difference between the codes in the line of my work, but didn't want to assume.

I appreciate the help. I used the ppi civil manual for survey for my PE, along with general survey notes from a review course. From the boards, it sounded like similar material, and I didn't want to waste the money. Sounds like it's not a waste.
I believe the CA board has announced it is using the new CBC 10 starting in April, and I don't see any review material that tries to cover it. I haven't noticed much difference between the codes in the line of my work, but didn't want to assume.
You are right, CA Board announced that the April 2011 Seismic Test will be based on CBC 2010 (IBC 2009). However, the ASCE remains the same as before, ie ASCE 7-05 (2005). Most of the material is coverd (or is based on) ASCE 7-05 so there should not be a lot of changes form te existing books out there.

I just looked on Hiner's website, he announced the new workbook will come out soon, but that's all...

http://www.seismicreview.com/

Wow, looking for the book to be ready in February? I guess I'm jumping the gun. I was going to start getting my stuff together now, but I guess I'm a little too excited about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Any thoughts?

You will have to study theree different chapters:

1)California law and surveying

2)California state plane coordinates

3) Surveys of public land

3 good references:

-surveying for civil engineering license by Dr. shahin mansour

-Coumo's survey review manual

-Reza's survey review manual.

Good luck

Back