Is a current MERM necessary?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speydragon

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'll be taking the PE exam (HVAC) this spring, and I have an 8th edition MERM that was given to me. I see there is a 12th edition MERM out. Is it necessary to get the current edition or will the 8th edition be sufficient for studying?

Thanks,

Mike

Beats me.

But buying the band spanking new one sounds like cheap insurance.

I'd say forgetaboutit. Merm 12 has been out for like 6 years. People were passing the exam using 8. There hasn't been any new technologies/principles etc. invented or discovered for use in general practice in the last 60 years. I think your fine. If you don't pass for a couple try's MERM 13th will probably be out soon enough.

Yes current MERM is necessary. Had a friend that spent a lot of time studying with an old MERM and failed by just one or two questions that were answered easily in the latest edition. I think it would be worth the $200 to not have to study for the exam again.

I think it would be worth the $200 to not have to study for the exam again.
They don't cost THAT much.

/>http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Engineering-Reference-Manual-Edition/dp/1591260493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354799014&sr=8-1&keywords=merm

Still, your point is valid.

I dont see why is nessary -

I studied with the 10th edition and passed in 2011-

Tim

I purchased a used 12th for about $130.00. I think that it was worth it as I passed. The charts and all are very nice. I think that you could pass with an older version, but it is a personal choice. All of the study courses, use the 12th edition of Lindburgh's manual as the reference if you are taking a review course.

MERM 11 vs MERM 12....would the 11th edition be good, or is the 12th edition necessary? Anyone know the differences between the two? I have the 8th that I'm working problems from, but am ready to get a later revision.

MERM 11 vs MERM 12....would the 11th edition be good, or is the 12th edition necessary? Anyone know the differences between the two? I have the 8th that I'm working problems from, but am ready to get a later revision.
I think that you can definately pass with the 11th, but if you are going to take a review course the 12th will be used as the reference manual.

Back