Instrument & measurement: PT & CT - Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethy

Reaction score
If we have a 3 phase AC, unbalance system (or delta-Y system or Y-delta), how many PT & CT do we need to measure the load? Should it be (3) CT & (3) PT??

If there is a neutual in the system, do we need (1) more CT & (1) more PT?

In the text book didn't say much about this topic. Any link or advise for Instrument & Measurement section??

Thanks,

Beth

Thanks a lot! Cableguy, by any chance do you know any link/source to find some sample for "Relays, switches & PLCs". I got some from google, but not sure that is a best one.

Thanks,

Beth

This is a good reference:

http://www.gedigitalenergy.com/multilin/no...rtsci/index.htm

If you look around the Internet and use your Google-Fu, you can find Blackburn's Protective Relaying: Principles and Applications in PDF format. Note that some of it is incorrect (device numbers in chapter 1 are wrong in the Third Edition), but it does have examples of CT connections and calculations in there... like calculating based on delta-wye transformers with wye-delta CT connections, etc. I would not buy the book though, as it's not THAT great of a resource for the exam, unless you find it for $20 or less.

The switches / plc's you need to focus on is ladder logic. I don't know of sources (maybe a PLC vendor like Allen-Bradley or someone has something on their web site), but you need to understand how to decode ladder logic with normally open, normally closed, open/close/seal-in coils, that kind of thing. It's really not too hard, nothing terribly complicated.

Back