Index for Design of Welded Structures

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXengrChickPE

Here we go Steelers, here we go!
Reaction score
So, I have this great structures book, "Design of Welded Structures" by Omer Blodgett. It was published in 1966 so code-type stuff is kinda out-dated, but for basic structural stuff, it's great. I use a LOT at work and I'm thinking that I might take it to the exam. BUT, it does not have an index AT ALL!!!

I did a quick google search and couldn't find one... I'd rather not spend my time creating one if I can avoid it. So, if anyone has one, I would love to get a copy of it (PDF/Word, whatever you've got!).

If anyone else is interested in getting the book check it out here (it's only $22, an amazing price for a book that has replaced several hundred dollars worth of college text books for me).

https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/lincoln/apd...asp?prodnum=DWS

I have this book myself. While it's a great book for practice, I didn't take it in with me for any of the exams that I've taken.

I also have a copy of the solutions manual to the "design of weldments." It has the same table for the properties of diffrent weld configs as the "design of welded structures" book does but it is expanded by quite a bit.

I bought it maybe 3 years ago and I got it for something like $2. If it's under $5 it would be a steal!

I actually photocopied the weld properties and placed it in my bound "notes" book. I never really used it but it is quite handy.

The only reason I think I wanna take it is that I use it so much already, I'm kinda used to it (but I still want an index for it). Also, I don't feel like the CERM section for Structural is all that strong. A lot of the procedures in the CERM are confusing, and usually more complicated than Blodgett. Also, the Blodgett book has examples problems for everything! When I test, I tend to panic and forget the stupid easy stuff so I figure I'll probably need something that says "stress = P/A" cuz that's the kind of thing I'll forget and need to look up.

Back