Indeterminate Beam Analysis

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKuhn

Reaction score
How important is it to study methods of indeterminate beam analysis for the Civil PE exam? I'm taking the structural PM portion.

I'm studying mostly from Lindeburg's CERM book and chapter 47 covers this material. Are there really problems on the test that require you to use the moment distribution method or create a stiffness matrix? It just seems way too time consuming to do on the test. I'm guessing most of what I need I can get from the AISC beam tables.

I covered this stuff in college so I'm familiar with it. I only have so much time to study so I'm considering skimming the practice problems in this section.

How important is it to study methods of indeterminate beam analysis for the Civil PE exam? I'm taking the structural PM portion.
I'm studying mostly from Lindeburg's CERM book and chapter 47 covers this material. Are there really problems on the test that require you to use the moment distribution method or create a stiffness matrix? It just seems way too time consuming to do on the test. I'm guessing most of what I need I can get from the AISC beam tables.

I covered this stuff in college so I'm familiar with it. I only have so much time to study so I'm considering skimming the practice problems in this section.
When I took it, there were like 2 problems related to the moment distribution method or conjugate beam method. They don't actually ask you to solve anything, they just ask you to know the steps from a concept standpoint. I would study virtual work, uniform force, moment distribution, and conjugate beam method. If you're taking the structural pm, you'll see one of these. If you're taking another afternoon discipline, then don't waste your time.

When I took it, there were like 2 problems related to the moment distribution method or conjugate beam method. They don't actually ask you to solve anything, they just ask you to know the steps from a concept standpoint. I would study virtual work, uniform force, moment distribution, and conjugate beam method. If you're taking the structural pm, you'll see one of these. If you're taking another afternoon discipline, then don't waste your time.
I agree. When I took the structural PM the first time, before I wised up and took GEO, there were one or two indeterminate beam problems. They were fairly simple analysis. Look in your structural mechanics book or your AISC steel manual for common cases. Superposition is your friend on these.

Back