I'm really bummed.... (yes another pencil thread - sorry)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They asked us to leave them in NC as well, which I did the first three times, but on that 4th attempt, I knew I hit a homer, it came home with me.
I took it in Raleigh and don't remember them saying anything about leaving the pencils.

I even asked before the afternoon session if we could keep our pencils and my proctor said she would find out. I was so disappointed when they said we couldn't. I don't normally use mechanical pencils but I thought the one from the FE exam was terrific. Oh, well, I didn't get to keep the red to go with my blue from the FE of April 2010.

You guys had me nearly rolling on the floor. LOL! Right of passage, R2 getting sucked into the 'pencil obsession', frames, fire-proof safes, e-bay, junk drawers, Super Glue, badges of honor, cost $1,000, etc., etc. LOL

Not sure if this counts as a happy ending or not but I was able to convince a co-worker into giving me his Red Oct '11 NCEES pencil (obtained from his 8-hour exam). I know it's not the one I used on the Seismic but, heck, I'm happy to have it. :)

I found mine last night at the bottom of my reference bin and was really happy. I tucked it away in my pencil case and will retrieve it when my pass/fail letter arrives.

Red/White. I am bummed I can't find my Black NCEES from my 2003 FE exam. I used to have 2 of them (I think I snagged my roommates), and had them for years, but I can't seem to locate it.

I took the test at Memphis TN area. After the test proctors was going around and picked up every pencil left on the table. People was packing they stuff and many of them didn’t see how she was coming from the other side of the desk and picked pencil from they tables. Some of them turned head, but too late…pencil was gone and they didn’t want to argue it, probably. I packed earlier and had chance to keep my trophy. It was red and white this time. It is matching the color of my patience of studying. Because this is my 4th time and I am not going to give up yet! :D

So are you allowed to keep the pencil?

It seems like there are some mixed messages with most people saying they kept theirs and some saying they were told not to. I kept mine, but am a little worried that maybe I shouldn't have. We were told to leave the pencils on the table during lunch, but I didn't hear any instructions regarding pencils at the end of the afternoon session.

We were told at the lunch break to leave our pencils at our tables which made sense to me. No such announcement was made at the end so I took MY pencil. I do not think they should be reused for someone else the next day (yuck-I had a cold) and I don't think there was any such intention at my venue. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red/White. I am bummed I can't find my Black NCEES from my 2003 FE exam. I used to have 2 of them (I think I snagged my roommates), and had them for years, but I can't seem to locate it.

:wv: , are you serious? I've always envied those black pencils. I see the proctors with them during the PE exams and thought they were exclusively for the exam staff/proctors and not the examinees. A black one would round out my collection real nicely. :nod: I actually don't have an FE/EIT NCEES pencil. I've been a slacker and am now taking the PE after getting my EIT ~10 years ago. I believe when I took the FE, I was the very last administration to be able to use their own pencil (and my TI-89!!!).

So are you allowed to keep the pencil?

It seems like there are some mixed messages with most people saying they kept theirs and some saying they were told not to. I kept mine, but am a little worried that maybe I shouldn't have. We were told to leave the pencils on the table during lunch, but I didn't hear any instructions regarding pencils at the end of the afternoon session.
golf, I think it is typical that the examinee is allowed to keep his/her issued pencil. I think being asked to leave your pencil is the exception, not the norm (maybe in rare cases where they are short on pencils?). I looked at my NCEES Candidate Agreement and they are silent on the leaving or keeping of the pencil. My California specific examination instructions clearly state you can keep the pencil.

NCEES: "Items Permitted on the Desktop Examinees may have these items on the desktop during the exam: Exam Authorization, ID, answer sheet, exam booklet, approved reference material, NCEES-approved calculators, NCEES-issued pencils with erasers, small snacks, and two straightedges such as a ruler, scale, triangle, or protractor."

California: "MECHANICAL PENCILS - Examinees must use Board issued mechanical pencils only. Examinees may NOT bring lead or erasers. If an additional pencil is needed during the exam, raise your hand and a proctor will issue an additional pencil. After the exam you may keep the mechanical pencils."

This was my third time taking the exam and the first time that they came around collecting the pencils. But only if you weren't fast enough to pack it away. They weren't asking people for their pencils but if they were sitting on the table, they were taking them. I now have green, blue and red. And I'm ok with only 3.....

I still have my pencils from all the exams (FE and PEx2). I never heard anything about leaving the pencils. In fact, the proctor told me when I was leaving that it would be a nice momento. Also, I am definitely framing it when I found out I passed (hopefully). :)

After going through the H$%ll of applying for, studying for, paying for, and taking the exam - I want my pencil!

Back