I'm really bummed.... (yes another pencil thread - sorry)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptatohed

Licenced to Spell
Reaction score
I know VTE already started a "pencil thread" (here) for this administration (Oct 2011) but my frustration needs its own thread to vent (plus, I am not able to simply answer the question: 'What color was your pencil'?).

Anyway, we were not given genuine NCEES pencils! No. We were given some lame yellow all-plastic PaperMate "Sharpwriter" pencil. :angry:

I saved my Green 'winning' NCEES pencil from Oct '10 when I passed the CA-Survey and I saved my Blue 'winning' NCEES pencil from Apr '11 when I passed the Fed 8-hour................ and here I am on my third installment (and hopefully the exam that actually gives me my PE), the CA-Seismic and I get a generic yellow twist pencil with one stinkin' piece of lead and no rubber grip? Lame!!!!

I'm not sure if they gave us these PaperMate pencils because we were only taking a state exam (although previous Survey and Seismic exams have provided NCEES pencils), or if it was my location (Pomona CA), or??

Anyone else experience this travesty?

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent guys. :)

I still have my red NCEES pencil from when I passed the darn test. It is all messed and broken now but I cannot throw it away. Sentimental idiot am I.

Darn you people! Now I have been sucked into this pencil obsession. I'm going to have to dig through the drawers at my parents house to see if I can find my old FE pencil. But I am not very optimistic that I will find it. At least I have my PE pencil.

Do you think I should mount it inside a frame with my PE certificate or should I keep it inside the fireproof safe for extra security? I could also ask my co-worker for his to mount with my certificate, and then keep the real one in the safe.

Darn you people! Now I have been sucked into this pencil obsession. I'm going to have to dig through the drawers at my parents house to see if I can find my old FE pencil. But I am not very optimistic that I will find it. At least I have my PE pencil.

Do you think I should mount it inside a frame with my PE certificate or should I keep it inside the fireproof safe for extra security? I could also ask my co-worker for his to mount with my certificate, and then keep the real one in the safe.
You would not be the first one. Somebody here did it already.

I have my blue FE pencil, my red PE pencil and the pencil I used from JH all the way through college. I went through dozens of pens and other pencils but was able to hang on to this one. The eraser holder (eraser long gone) is chewed to bits, the lead has to be pulled out manually and the end is superglued together. I considered framing it but my wife gave me the "your insane" look when I asked her to see about getting it done, so its just sitting in my junk drawer.

well that sucks... a lame standard pencil...

good call on the decoy pencil... mine's just carelessly hanging out on by book shelf and will probably be stolen. I'll have to invest in either the fireproof safe or a security team.

I found a forest green NCEES pencil in my desk with no date. Maybe I could sell it on eBay to someone who needed it for their trophy case!

I found a forest green NCEES pencil in my desk with no date. Maybe I could sell it on eBay to someone who needed it for their trophy case!
I'd wager a guess that 99% of your target market for such a thing is on this forum.

I'd wager a guess that 99% of your target market for such a thing is on this forum.
Good point...

But now I have three colors because I found the green one and that's a collection, so... I may have to go dig thru some junk drawers around here

Not to mention that fact that they usually cost around $1K and a serious amount time for personal relationships...

Last edited by a moderator:
in new york, they've asked us to leave the pencils on table, so i didn't take mine home with me....

They asked us to leave them in NC as well, which I did the first three times, but on that 4th attempt, I knew I hit a homer, it came home with me.

When I took the PE they threatened to invalidate our exams if we took our pencil. I didn't think they'd really do it, but at the end of the day I wasn't going to risk it.

I still have my pencil from when I took the FE, although a co-worker did snap the clip off it years ago. It's a black lowercase one.

Same in Birmingham AL. They said they might need them for FE people the next day.
ewww...this might not be sanitary. I would at least expect a pristine pencil at the FE since they forbid you bring your own.

Back