IL SE Exams - Only code and textbooks allowed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaker-PE

Reaction score
So I took and passed the WI PE exam, structural depth. Then I applied for the IL SE1 and SE2 exams. After taking a class to fulfill the IL requirements, I took both of those tests in April. Unfortunately I didn't pass, largely because I didn't study much, which was because I didn't know if the IL board would approve my class or find some other type of exclusion. Notification was about 2 months before the test. Well everyone knows that only textbooks and code books are allowed in the exam room. So example manuals, CERM, SERM, NCEES practice tests, and notes are not allowed at all. Therefore, all notes have to be hand written within the code books.

So should I apply to an ELSES state like AZ or MN (etc.) to take the SE1 and SE2 tests in order to use notes or something other than just code? Apparently the SE test was first developed by Illinois a long time ago. Now it seems they have this "handy reference" exclusion that only applies to those engineers trying to get in. The IL board members think they can keep their salaries high by making stricter rules on a nationally recognized testing standard. By imposing more rules they exclude the applicants near the margin.

Are there any other states that have this foolish requirement during the exam? I really don't think that there are! I want to submit my NCEES record to ELSES and the other state, pass the two tests, and go in through comity. Thoughts??

The bad part about IL is basically what you had just said. They do not allow problems or solutions as ref material. The really good thing about IL is that you can take the SE I on Friday and then the SEII on Saturday to get them over with. Most states don't allow this.

You can go to either AZ or MN, whatever is more convenientto you. There are a people here on the board taking the AZ SEII exam in October. Also, I've taken the civil, SEI and SEII in MN. Either way, there will be people around to help you out.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Kevo... I didn't know that Illinois was the only state to offer both exams on two consecutive days. I may have to do some research on that one, but considering that it's so late in the season to be applying to other states, I may just go for it and consider the disadvantage to be a challenging opportunity rather than a setback. After all, the goal is Illinois licensure.

But let me know if you know if you can think of any other states offering the Friday and Saturday testing sessions. Oh, and good job on passing all three tests.

Time to study...

^^ Well, to be honest IL isn't the only one.

Both CA and WA offer the SEII on Friday and their very own "SEIII" on Saturday. (Both don't offer the Structural I exam)

I'm not too sure on AZ though. They very well may allow for a Friday and Saturday exam offering. NV may also allow this. I'd take a look at their websites.

I hope this helps!

Back