• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

If you fail the PE power, buy these books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who are first time visitors to this forum. I also didn't know about CI books, I did know about Graffeo but I underused it the first time I took the test and Failed it. The best advantage to Graffeo is that the index is nicely organized to find how to solve problems based on key words you might not have seen before.
i thought the layout of graffeo was horrible

But didn't realize until months later the quality of this book as it had at least 5 identical problems on the exam that could not be found anywhere else i looked

I took the exam earlier this month and thought that the CI books drastically undersold the difficulty of the exam.  In fact, while the official practice exam and EngProGuide one were better, I don't think any practice exam I tried accurately represented an approximation to the real thing.
yeah, the CI books were virtually worthless.... at best reinforced basic concepts but nothing useful that helped on test day

yeah, the CI books were virtually worthless.... at best reinforced basic concepts but nothing useful that helped on test day
Don't get me wrong, I think I am better for having purchased and gone through the practice exams in CI.  I know I would have done worse without them.

They just didn't reflect the real test difficulty in any way.  That being said, the increased difficulty *should* be reflected in what is likely a lower cut score, as others have pointed out.

i thought the layout of graffeo was horrible

But didn't realize until months later the quality of this book as it had at least 5 identical problems on the exam that could not be found anywhere else i looked
I don't remember the exam well enough to recall the exact questions you're referencing (not that we could discuss them anyway), but Graffeo was my best resource on the exam outside of my notes and formula sheets.  For a lot of theoretical questions, I was able to at least narrow down the answer to a 50/50 proposition with Graffeo whereas with a lot of my other resources I was lost in the weeds searching for information despite the use of book index and/or tabs.

I'd have to argue against that. On the exam, yes the CI books were not referenced but to prepare my mind to go through and reference the appropriate reference by going through problem after problem, this was the solid tool.

Its just like practice before a game, if you don't practice for the exam, your mind is not mentally ready for the 8 hour drain on your mental resources.

I think thats the best benefit for CI. 

I'd have to argue against that. On the exam, yes the CI books were not referenced but to prepare my mind to go through and reference the appropriate reference by going through problem after problem, this was the solid tool.

Its just like practice before a game, if you don't practice for the exam, your mind is not mentally ready for the 8 hour drain on your mental resources.

Exactly!!  To a certain extent I felt the same way about Spinup.  Also ,not sure if this has already discussed but CI's NEC prep book was invaluable.

that’s why my ststement said at best it reinforced concepts

...but i could have done that by doing random ppi problems

Exactly!!  To a certain extent I felt the same way about Spinup.  Also ,not sure if this has already discussed but CI's NEC prep book was invaluable.
Yes I agree with you it was invaluable to get my mind thinking about where things are categorized in the NEC.  Even though I have the index and tabs for it as well as secondary indices organized by more keywords, I Needed that practice from the drillbook to be solid enough to pass. 

And Yes I'm selling the CI NEC drill book as well with the CI exams

that’s why my ststement said at best it reinforced concepts

...but i could have done that by doing random ppi problems
Where do you get random PPI problems? You would have to purchase that and the answer booklet, correct?   Most I've seen folks talk about on this forum is CI books and I really appreciate everyone who recommended it. Thank you!

Yours truly , a PE who passed due to the advice's of you folks on EB.com :)  

Latest posts

Back